U.S. East Coast bee gardener/expert sought

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010

      Folks- with Sari’s permission, I am posting this for her.  If you may be able to help, please contact her directly.

      Jim Cane

      Dear Dr. Cane,

          I am a freelance journalist at work on a story idea for Readers Digest magazine on native pollinators. I normally write about health and medicine for national magazines (O--Oprah, Good Housekeeping, Women's Health, etc) but I am also a backyard beekeeper and in 2007 I interviewed you about your native pollinator research for an Organic Gardening magazine story on native pollinators and CCD in honeybees.

          Anyway, I've been working with an editor at Readers Digest on a native pollinator story idea that would look more closely at what people can and are doing in their own gardens and yards and why its an important, tangible "green" step people can take easily. We'd like to find an entomologist/pollinator expert or someone committed to the cause who really works hard to create pollinator habitat in their own yard. I'm checking in with several experts including you. Since I'm based in Pennsylvania, finding someone on the East Coast would be great, not sure I'll have the budget to visit a West Coast garden!

          Do you know of anyone who fits this description, or anyone who might know of someone?  Or you yourself?

          thanks so much for your help,

      Sari

          Sari Harrar

          Writer/editor