Fwd: FW: [Pollinator] BBC News: New cricket species filmed pollinatingorchids

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 154 Bytes
    Dear Colleagues:

    The following report is feasible as funny things happen during evolution on islands and we really know little about nocturnal pollinators.  Crickets and katydids are terrible predators of orchid flowers in Australia.  However, I was recently tricked by a prankster offering photos of springtails (Collembola) collecting pollen on their hind legs.  You be the judge.

    Peter

    New cricket species filmed pollinating orchids

    A new species of cricket has been caught on camera - and its bizarre behaviour has surprised scientists.

    Far from living up to the cricket's plant-destroying reputation, this species lends a helping hand to flora by acting as a pollinator.

    Scientists say this is the first time a cricket has been spotted pollinating a flower - in this case, an orchid.

    A study of the nocturnal insect, which was found on the island of Reunion, has been published in the Annals of Botany.

    Gary Krupnick, Ph.D.
    Head of the Plant Conservation Unit
    Department of Botany
    Smithsonian Institution