Bees Vanish - It's Fiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2010
      Dear Colleagues:

      Have you read the January 10 issue of "The New York TImes Book Review?"  Go to page 19 and read the review entitled, "Stung Together; In a world bereft of bees, five people are united, mysteriously."  Mr. Jopseph Salvatore reviewed the book, "Generation A" by Douglas Coupland.  Mr. Coupland is best known as the author of "Generation X" (1991).  The new book is "set in a near future when bees are thought to have become extinct.  A global pollination crisis results, and a six-ounce bottle of 2008 Yukon fireweed honey now fetches some $17,000 at Sotheby's."  Also, there are no heroin addicts because there are no bees to pollinate the poppies. I guess beetles and syprhid flies became extinct as well.  The novel revolves around five people who are mysteriously stung and then they are sequestered to determine why they are so attractive to rare/extinct insects.

      Yes, I know but what can you do?  I don't think the author is scare mongering.  On the other hand, I don't think he's followed the scientific literature very well either.  Perpahs we can convince Steve Buchmann to read the book and write a review for a local newspaper?

      Peter Bernhardt