OT: [beemonitoring] butterfly enclosure ideas

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010
      Look at the way grape growers lean side supports out 30-45 degrees, and stretch cable between them. You might have a 2x2 or even 1x2 center set of "posts" here and there, say at 5 yd intervals. Side posts of 2x4 seem adequate. Stretch contractors twine across for netting support. Use butterfly netting of a light or wht color to reduce impacts, as they see in the UV rage best. End anchors for the angled 2x4 could be 24" rebar or cement form stakes. Anchor from these to 2x4's with 800 lb (1/8th in) parachute or clothesline cord.

      Nylon stretches, so you might need to tighten things up after a month. 2 m high means an 8 ft stud is just enough, once angled... Mmmmmm; mebe 20 degrees... Bury the stud ~6" so it stays there. Staple netting on, through a small piece of cerareal carborad or such so the staple doesn't tear through.

      BillSF9c
      ---------------------
      All,

      I recognize that this is a ‘beemonitoring’ group – but thought I would throw out
      the following query as I have found you all to be quite resourceful:

      I am looking for information on construction of a temporary (~ 2 months) large
      outdoor butterfly enclosure (~ 20 m x 10m X 2 m high) to be installed on a
      short-grass prairie for research purposes. Does anyone have
      experience/information on suitable low-cost materials and design for such a
      flight cage for small skipper-sized butterflies?

      Thank you,

      Cheryl Fimbel

      Messages in this topic (6)

      <*> Your email settings: