BIML Update - Additional Pictures, Lasioglossum, Chrysididae, State Records (DC, WV), Osmia, Hylaeus, Time Estimates for Bee Processing, Mystery map

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2010

      All:  Below are some update from our lab....

              Pictures Added to ID Guides

      We have continued to add detailed microscope photographs of specimens contributed by Deana Crumbling...including Megachile, Ceratina, Anthophora, Lasioglossum.

              Lasioglossum atlanticum

      Jane Whitaker noted that she already had specimens of L. atlanticum from D.C. in her garden collection.  Our apologies for not noting that in our files at the time....

              Chrysididae

      Villa Soon from Estonia has sent in a number of suggestions and taxonomic updates to the Chrysididae guide including a more recent German revision.

              New State Records

      Andrena illini (WV, DC) - Jane Whitaker has added new records for this very large spring Melandrena for both DC and WV.....it still amazes me what can be found in urban Washington D.C.
      Hylaeus annulatus (VA) - Sam Droege collected a series of Hylaeus annulatus from a sand mine near the border with WV....
      Lasioglossum fattigi (VA) - Sam Droege collected one in the same location as above

              Osmia distincta

      Additional distinguishing features along the rim of the clypeus have been added to the couplet separating O. distincta females from other species.

      It now reads:

      O. distincta - Head, hairs emerging from the space in between the 3 ocelli, clearly PROJECTING FORWARD, much longer than hairs in the same place on other Osmia - Clypeus margin or rim distinctly concave and lined with short orangish hairs

      Others - Head, hairs emerging from the space in between the 3 ocelli, generally UPRIGHTor disheveled, hairs long, but not unusually so for the genus - Clypeus rim or margin in most species straight or only very slightly concave

              Estimates of time for processing specimens.

      Recently we have been tracking the amount of time it takes to perform various functions in our lab and thought the information below might be useful.

      Washing and drying a batch of bees (a batch = @60 bees on average) stored in alcohol: 3 minutes.
      Pinning: 200 bees per hour
      Labeling:  100 specimens per hour (including entering label information into the database, and printing and cutting out the labels)
      Databasing: 320 specimens an hour.
      Double-checking the data entry: 800 specimens in an hour.
              (Consequently, processing and data entry of specimens occurs at a rate of 0.375 minutes per bee)
      Identification of specimens: 75 per hour (for Eastern species).
              (From bee in alcohol to databased, double checked specimen: 1.22 minutes per specimen)
      Distributing, depositing, and recycling specimens after entry is pretty variable, but a from-the-hip estimate would be 200 bees per hour.

      Mystery Map - 2 Congeners

      Yellow equals USGS sampling points

      Answer

      Closely related, both species are wetland oriented coastal plain species in the Mid-Atlantic.  However, H. schwarzii is associated with sandy salt marsh habitats and H. ornatus is more likely to also be found in the interior fresh/brackish systems.  Note their absences from the sandhills....where plenty there is plenty of sand, but water is much scarcer.   Note that some specimens of H. ornatus appear to lack the orange abdomen...or are they another species?  We have sent examples up to the Packer Lab for some DNA work...and encourage you to do so too.

      Sunrise

      The tide ’s at full; the marsh with flooded streams
      Glimmers, a limpid labyrinth of dreams.
      Each winding creek in grave entrancement lies
      A rhapsody of morning-stars. The skies
      Shine scant with one forked galaxy,—
      The marsh brags ten: looped on his breast they lie.

                  - Sidney Lanier

      P Bees are not optional.