Big Win for Bees: Judge Pulls Pesticide (two articles)

  • Stoner, Kimberly
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
      Hi Bee Monitoring group:

      I don't know how much overlap there is between this group and the
      Pollinator list, where this already appeared, but I thought this would
      be of interest. This is a very unusual event - to have a pesticide
      pulled from the market because of its effects on honey bees - and so
      quickly! Movento just went on the market on a large scale last year.

      Kim Stoner

      Big Win for Bees: Judge Pulls Pesticide

      Dec 29th

      NEW YORK (December 29, 2009) - A pesticide that could be dangerously
      toxic to America's honey bees must be pulled from store shelves as a
      result of a suit filed by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
      and the Xerces Society. In an order issued last week, a federal court
      in New York invalidated EPA's approval of the pesticide spirotetramat
      (manufactured by Bayer CropScience under the trade names Movento and
      Ultor) and ordered the agency to reevaluate the chemical in compliance
      with the law. The court's order goes into effect on January 15, 2010,
      and makes future sales of Movento illegal in the United States

      -------------------------------------

      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=awNvfcIKf4AY

      Bayer 'Disappointed' in Ruling on Chemical That May Harm Bees

      By Alan Bjerga

      Dec. 29 (Bloomberg) -- A Bayer AG unit is "disappointed" by a U.S.
      judge's ruling that may prevent distribution of its spirotetramat
      insecticide, a spokesman said. Environmental groups say the chemical
      causes harm to honeybees.

      U.S. District Court Judge Denise Cote on Dec. 23 ordered the
      Environmental Protection Agency to rescind approval for spirotetramat,
      which inhibits cell reproduction in insects. Cote said the EPA didn't
      properly seek comments or publicize the review process. The judge in
      New York ordered the ruling stayed until Jan. 15 and sent the matter
      back to the EPA.

      Spirotetramat, sold under various names including Movento, was
      approved for use in the U.S. last year, even though the agency was
      aware of its potential harm to bees, Cote said. The Natural Resources
      Defense Council, an environmental organization in New York, and the
      Xerces Society, a Portland, Oregon, a wildlife conservation group,
      challenged the EPA's actions.

      The insecticide is fit for use and the ruling is based on EPA
      processes rather than product safety, Jack Boyne, a spokesman for
      Bayer CropScience LP, a unit of the Leverkusen, Germany-based company,
      said in a statement. The chemical "has shown excellent performance
      with regard to bee safety," he said. Bayer is "evaluating our options"
      on how to respond to Cote's ruling, he said.

      Pest killers have been linked to honeybee colony collapse disorder, or
      mass deaths of the insects, which have been reported since 2006. Bees
      pollinate $15 billion of U.S. plants each year, according to the U.S.
      Department of Agriculture.

      Viruses, mites, pesticides and poor bee treatment have been suggested
      as primary causes of the disorder, which has been reported in at least
      35 states, as well as in Europe and Asia. The Bayer insecticide was
      approved in Australia in August, and the company said at the time that
      it also had been cleared for use in Canada and Austria.

      Eric Mader
      National Pollinator Outreach Coordinator
      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
      Tel: 608-628-4951 Fax: 503-233-6794
      Email: eric@...
      Skype: eric_mader_xerces_society

      Assistant Professor of Extension
      University of Minnesota - Department of Entomology
      Email: made0002@...

      The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
      protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
      habitat. Our Pollinator Conservation Program works to support the
      sustainability and profitability of farms while protecting pollinator
      insects. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
      work, please visit www.xerces.org.
    • Weber, Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010

        These additional articles have additional info:

        http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2010/2010-01-04-093.asp

        http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_660336.html

        Donald C. Weber, Research Entomologist & Lead Scientist

        USDA Agricultural Research Service

        Invasive Insect Biocontrol & Behavior Laboratory

        Bldg. 011A, Rm. 107, BARC-West Beltsville, MD 20705  USA

        Don.Weber@...

        http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=30842

      • T'ai Roulston
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010
          From my understanding it was not pulled because of its effects on honey bees but because of improper protocol (lack of advance notice and public comment). EPA will have to determine whether the acknowledged harm to larval bees through direct exposure is likely to have an effect on colonies in field settings. So if this is a victory for honey bees it may be temporary.

          T'ai

          ------------ --------- --------- -------

          Email: eric@xerces. org

          Email: made0002@umn. edu

          The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
          protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their
          habitat. Our Pollinator Conservation Program works to support the
          sustainability and profitability of farms while protecting pollinator
          insects. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our
          work, please visit www.xerces.org.

          T'ai Roulston
          Curator, State Arboretum of Virginia
          Research Assoc. Prof., Dept of Envi. Sci.
          University of Virginia

        • Weber, Don
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2010

            These additional articles have additional info:

            http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2010/2010-01-04-093.asp

            http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_660336.html

            http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1862534.html

            http://www.law360.com/articles/141131

            and the judge’s order:

            http://newsroom.law360.com/articlefiles/141131-EPA.pdf

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
              RE: [beemonitoring] Judge Pulls Pesticide (additional articles and judge's order)

              I just returned from the American Bee Research Conference in Orlando Florida where a Bayer representative presented research using Movento on an orchard in bloom with honey bee colonies in the field. His study showed no negative impacts by using Movento during bloom. His talk went right up to 15 minutes and left no time for questions, but requests for questions came from the audience, so at the end of the conference he returned to the podium. One, of multiple critical questions, came from a man, that I was told, was one of the co-operator/beekeeper's son. Not sure if that part is right, but this individual had visited these beehives recently and reported all but two were dead and asked why this was not included in the results. The Bayer representative said the study ended in October, at which time the hives were still alive. The hives died after October.

              This evidence suggests to me that co-operators of the above 'study' are not in agreement of the methods or results.

              -Michael Wilson

              The University of Tennessee
              Knoxville, TN
              Phone:  (865) 804-6486