butterfly enclosure ideas

  • Cheryl Fimbel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010

      All,

      I recognize that this is a ‘beemonitoring’ group – but thought I would throw out the following query as I have found you all to be quite resourceful:

      I am looking for information on construction of a temporary (~ 2 months) large outdoor butterfly enclosure (~ 20 m x 10m X 2 m high) to be installed on a short-grass prairie for research purposes.  Does anyone have experience/information on suitable low-cost materials and design for such a flight cage for small skipper-sized butterflies?

      Thank you,

      Cheryl Fimbel

    • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010

        Happy New Year, all!

        I am writing to see if anyone can help me on short notice, with some ideas or references.  I am collaborating with several mathematicians and other biologists on a proposal that seeks to model the effects of climate change on habitats and organisms.  I would like to tie in my future work with native bees and pollination.  Does anyone know of any data sets or publications relating to this, particularly for the mid-Atlantic region or for blueberry pollinators?

        Thanks and apologies for the lack of “homework” on this.  I was asked to participate just before the holidays and the proposal is due on Feb. 11.

        Barb

        Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

        Associate Professor

        SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor