BIML Update - Bombus, Podalonia, Bee Gluing Tip, Coelioxys, Megachile, Canadian Megachile, Andrena, Mystery Map

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22 4:35 AM

      Some odds and ends from the USGS Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab.....

      Bombus sandersoni

      Paul Williams writes:
      Yes, B. sandersoni is very variable in colour pattern and T5 may be black or yellow in both sexes.  But T5 can also be white (confirmed from barcode analysis), at least in the south of its range.

      And John Ascher mentioned that B. sandersoni often has very limited amounts of black in the center of the scutum.

      Sphecidae: Podalonia

      Matthias Buck pointed out that we had forgotten to include the 4 eastern species of Podalonia (Ammophila look-a-likes) in the Sphecidae guide....those have now been added along with the associated literature by Erika Tucker

      Pinning Tip

      Harold Ikerd mentioned that when gluing bees instead of holding a glue bottle he runs a short line of glue on his hand and dips the side of the pin in there.  Very handy as our hand usually follows us around and we are unlikely to forget where we put it.  I have used the now the past couple of days along with the magnetic wrist pin holder and it has increased my bees per hour.  I have also gone back to using the glue gels...they have much longer open work times than white glues and they dry crystal clear.

      Coelioxys and Megachile Pictures

      A series of line drawings from Baker and Mitchell of Coelioxys and Megachile have now been added to the species pages for those groups.

      Canadian Megachile

      I discovered last week that Canadian provinces were only incompletely scored for many presence of Megachile species.  I have updated those.  Recall that a list for a province or state generated from the guide does not mean that the species has been detected there, it just means that there is a possibility that it COULD be detected.

      Female Andrena Guide

      The following character was added to the female guide to help resolve A. persimulata and A. platyparia....an easy character, for once.

      A. persimulata - Easily identified by the presence of a large projecting knob or large swelling at the bottom of the lateral face of the mesepisturnum about half way between the front and mid legs
      A. platyparia - Not as above

      Mystery Map

      What 2 Halictidae species from the same genus are illustrated in the map below?  Yellow equals all USGS database records, Blue is mystery species 1, Red is mystery species 2.  Answers at the bottom.

      From Field Work

      Not the mud slick,
      not the black weedy water
      full of alder cones and pock-marked leaves.

      Not the cow parsley in winter
      with its old whitened shins and wrists, its sibilance, its shaking.

      Not even the tart green shade of summer thick with butterflies
      and fungus plump as a leather saddle.

      No. But in a still corner,
      braced to its pebble-dashed wall,
      heavy, earth-drawn, all mouth and eye,

      the sunflower, dreaming umber.

             -Seamus Heaney

      P Bees are not optional.

      Answers: Augochlorella aurata is species number 1 and Augochlorella persimilis is species 2...we have not collected A. persimilis outside of the mountain and piedmont provinces.