Paper on the impacts of spatial distributions of bowl traps

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2009

    All:

    We now have a paper out that looks at some aspects of the spatial distributions of bees captured in bowl traps.  That paper is attached.

    A couple of key results (In my opinion) were that a neighboring bowl trap's impact on an adjacent bowl extended only was a short 3-5m.  Beyond 5m capture rates were steady.  There also appeared to be a rather low rate of clumping of captures across bowls in arrays and transects.

    The biggest mystery for all trapping techniques is .... where are these bees coming from?  Which individuals are local and which are dispersers?  Are there sex and age differences?  How do such dispersers (presuming they exist) impact the results and interpretation of bowl studies.....

    THE REALIST

    On the sandy downs beside the sea
    She found a feather, silver and black -
    Silver as salmon, black as jet,