Re: [beemonitoring] A question about meshes please

  • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
      Hi all,

      I don't know where you are, but there is a terrific fabric store in D.C. called G. Street Fabrics that has an amazing variety of stuff.  I was able to get some meshed fabrics for some work I was doing with honey bees and semen and eggs.  They do have a web site.  Google G. St. Fabrics.  There are a lot of fabric suppliers on line now, so you might try just googling the fabric types.  Have you tried BioQuip?

      Anita Collins
      -Albert Einstein

      Dec 20, 2009 09:19:03 AM, g.l.bravomonroy@... wrote:

      Hi Everyone,

      I would like to ask all of you a question, in advance thanks for attention.

      I am looking for cotton fabric with the size of the holes of 0.8-1 mm as
      well as nylon fabric with holes size of 10 µm. My purpose is using these
      fabrics to make bags with these dimensions: 20 cm x 15 cm in; these bags
      will be used on coffee pollination experiments. The cotton bags will be
      used to avoid insect pollination and the very fine nylon mesh will be used
      to avoid wind pollination.

      Would someone be so kind as to tell me if you know where could I find these
      fabrics?

      Many thanks,

      Liliana

      You might also want to put a message out to the listserv tell them what
      you are planning to do (in particular tell them in more detail about why
      you need these meshes) and see what they have to say...there are lots of
      clever people out there.

    • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
        I can only say that "remay" fabric is typically used for
        growing insect protection. It is a haphazardly "woven"
        style, rather than a mesh. You could not claim a
        certain mesh size, if that is critical. But it works even
        with aphids & is cheap.

        I could not suggest cotton, as it could begin a mold.

        BillSF9c
        --------------------
[...]

        -----------------------------
      • Hendrix, Stephen D
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009

          Another source of good netting for pollination experiments is the following:

          http://www.christiansennets.com/

          I got material from them that we easy to sew into bags and have stood up to one field season already.  Also, the “Bruce” on the webpage was very helpful.

          Steve Hendrix

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010

            All,

            I recognize that this is a ‘beemonitoring’ group – but thought I would throw out the following query as I have found you all to be quite resourceful:

            I am looking for information on construction of a temporary (~ 2 months) large outdoor butterfly enclosure (~ 20 m x 10m X 2 m high) to be installed on a short-grass prairie for research purposes.  Does anyone have experience/information on suitable low-cost materials and design for such a flight cage for small skipper-sized butterflies?

            Thank you,

            Cheryl Fimbel

          • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010

              Happy New Year, all!

              I am writing to see if anyone can help me on short notice, with some ideas or references.  I am collaborating with several mathematicians and other biologists on a proposal that seeks to model the effects of climate change on habitats and organisms.  I would like to tie in my future work with native bees and pollination.  Does anyone know of any data sets or publications relating to this, particularly for the mid-Atlantic region or for blueberry pollinators?

              Thanks and apologies for the lack of “homework” on this.  I was asked to participate just before the holidays and the proposal is due on Feb. 11.

              Barb

              Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

              Associate Professor

              SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor