USGS Developing Statistical Tools To Study Pollinator Interactions with Plants

  • Elizabeth A Sellers
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2009

      From the USGS Florida Integrated Science Center Highlights <http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/usgs/highlights/highlights.html>
      USGS Developing Statistical Tools To Study Pollinator Interactions with Plants

      From 10-13 December 2009, USGS statistician Bob Dorazio (SESC) is participating in a meeting of the Binary Matrices Working Group at the University of Tennessee. Sponsored by the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS), the meeting will focus on developing a statistical framework that can help overcome the current statistical constraints and challenges of analyzing pollinator networks. Dorazio’s research will address methods for overcoming the shortcomings of current statistical tools, which do not account for the ecological traits of pollinators. For example, the timing of the pollinator visit must occur while a plant is in bloom (a challenge in statistically defining the probability of pollination events) and consider highly complex pollinator networks and food webs. Analysis ideally should also factor in genetics of pollinators, which tend to evolve over short time periods in conjunction with local plants, and account for the specific sampling procedures that are being used to gather data. (Bob Dorazio, 352-392-3081, bob_dorazio@...)

      Cheers, Liz

      Elizabeth Sellers

      Manager, NBII Pollinators Project <http://pollinators.nbii.gov/>

      National Biological Information Infrastructure <
      www.nbii.gov>
      National Program Office
      United States Geological Survey
      12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
      Reston, VA 20192  USA
      Ph 703.648.4385 | Fax 703.648.4224 | esellers@...

    • g.l.bravomonroy@reading.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
        Hi Everyone,

        I would like to ask all of you a question, in advance thanks for attention.

        I am looking for cotton fabric with the size of the holes of 0.8-1 mm as
        well as nylon fabric with holes size of 10 µm. My purpose is using these
        fabrics to make bags with these dimensions: 20 cm x 15 cm in; these bags
        will be used on coffee pollination experiments. The cotton bags will be
        used to avoid insect pollination and the very fine nylon mesh will be used
        to avoid wind pollination.

        Would someone be so kind as to tell me if you know where could I find these
        fabrics?

        Many thanks,

        Liliana

        You might also want to put a message out to the listserv tell them what
        you are planning to do (in particular tell them in more detail about why
        you need these meshes) and see what they have to say...there are lots of
        clever people out there.
      • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2009
          Hi all,

          I don't know where you are, but there is a terrific fabric store in D.C. called G. Street Fabrics that has an amazing variety of stuff.  I was able to get some meshed fabrics for some work I was doing with honey bees and semen and eggs.  They do have a web site.  Google G. St. Fabrics.  There are a lot of fabric suppliers on line now, so you might try just googling the fabric types.  Have you tried BioQuip?

          Anita Collins
          -Albert Einstein

        • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2009
            I can only say that "remay" fabric is typically used for
            growing insect protection. It is a haphazardly "woven"
            style, rather than a mesh. You could not claim a
            certain mesh size, if that is critical. But it works even
            with aphids & is cheap.

            I could not suggest cotton, as it could begin a mold.

            BillSF9c
            --------------------
[...]

            -----------------------------
          • Hendrix, Stephen D
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 30, 2009

              Another source of good netting for pollination experiments is the following:

              http://www.christiansennets.com/

              I got material from them that we easy to sew into bags and have stood up to one field season already.  Also, the “Bruce” on the webpage was very helpful.

              Steve Hendrix

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010

                All,

                I recognize that this is a ‘beemonitoring’ group – but thought I would throw out the following query as I have found you all to be quite resourceful:

                I am looking for information on construction of a temporary (~ 2 months) large outdoor butterfly enclosure (~ 20 m x 10m X 2 m high) to be installed on a short-grass prairie for research purposes.  Does anyone have experience/information on suitable low-cost materials and design for such a flight cage for small skipper-sized butterflies?

                Thank you,

                Cheryl Fimbel

              • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010

                  Happy New Year, all!

                  I am writing to see if anyone can help me on short notice, with some ideas or references.  I am collaborating with several mathematicians and other biologists on a proposal that seeks to model the effects of climate change on habitats and organisms.  I would like to tie in my future work with native bees and pollination.  Does anyone know of any data sets or publications relating to this, particularly for the mid-Atlantic region or for blueberry pollinators?

                  Thanks and apologies for the lack of “homework” on this.  I was asked to participate just before the holidays and the proposal is due on Feb. 11.

                  Barb

                  Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

                  Associate Professor

                  SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor