BIML Notes - Eucera, Osmia, Calliopsis, Andrena, Bombus, Anthophora

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2009

      Below are some of the latest Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab work that may be of interest....

      Eucera - Confusion among various sexes of E. belfragei, E. dubitata, E. rosae

      We have been having problems identifying some of our male Eucera species from the East and after a good deal of correspondence and work with types and specimens from various places we have modified the current guide to include the following characters found below.  Note, however, that we are not at all certain regarding the situation with E. dubitata and E. belfragei....there are a number of ambiguous specimens and it may be there is another species involved...we would be very interested in any E. dubitata and E. belfragei specimens of either sex from the East that people could loan us for a short while....  Thanks go to Mike Arduser for sending specimens from Missouri and his comments about the species there.

      Female, E. belfragei vs E. dubitata

      E. belfragei -T3 and T4 with complete white hair bands set just behind the apical rim - T5 with long white hairs interspersed with the usual dark hairs on the far sides, set just back from the rim - S2-4 with long white hairs along the apical rim with some long dark long ones intermixed towards the center and dark hairs about half as long basally

      E. dubitata - T3-5 hairs all dark - S2-4 with long ORANGISH hairs along the apical rim and SIMILARLY colored hairs about half as long basally

      Male - E. dubitata vs E. rosae

      E. dubitata - Rim of T6 fringed with long WHITE hairs - S8 medially deeply cleft with acute v-shaped notch, hairs present throughout the rim except in cleft, TO VIEW YOU MUST PULL THE GENITALIA - Set slightly back from the apical rims of T3 and T4 are COMPLETE bands of white prostrate hairs, these hairs, when compared to E. rosae, almost twice as long

      E. rosae - Rim of T6 fringed with long DARK hairs - No medial cleft to S8 - Set slightly back from the apical rims of T3 and T4 are usually incomplete bands of white prostrate hairs, these hairs restricted to the lateral sides of these segments, are very weak, and are often completely absent, compared to E. dubitata they are only half as long

      Osmia caerulescens - Observations sent in from Michael Veit - New England

      Below are the records of O. caerulescens from my collection, 6 locations in northern MA/southern NH, one from GA, most from 2006, one from 2008.  I’ve visited the MA locations during the same season in subsequent years but have not captured more.  I still have a lot of bees from last season to ID, if I find any more records for O. caerulescens I’ll let you know.  In my experience, O. caerulensis seems uncommon, but perhaps not rare.  For a comparison of relative abundance, I have about 14 records for O. atriventris that range in location from eastern to far western MA and as far north as the White Mountains of NH, and other species, approx. no. of records from New England: O. albiventris (1), O. bucephala (10), O. collinsiae (4), O. cornifrons (1), O. distincta (10), O. felti (1), O. georgica (2), O. inspergens (6), O. lignaria (1), O. pumila (17), O. similima (3)

      O. caerulescens records

      • a.       Thomaston, Talbot Co, GA III-29-2006, 1 male, on Polygala
      • b.      Groton, Middlesex Co., MA IV-16-2006, 1 male
      • c.       Dunstable, Middlesex Co., MA IV-29-2006, 1 male, sandpit
      • d.      Pepperell, Middlesex Co., MA V-20-2006, 2 males, bowl trap
      • Pepperell, Middlesex Co., MA  V-29-2006, 1 female, trap nest
      • e.      Pepperell, Middlesex Co., MA V-20-2006, 4 males, sandpit
      • f.        Dunstable, Middlesex Co., MA IV-29-2006, 1 female, sandpit
      • g.       Hollis, Hillsborough Co., NH VII-4-2008, 1 female

      Osmia caerulescens - Observations from Rob Jean - Indiana

      Lots in old collections. Most recent records from IN are from 1978-1980, collected by Michael Johnson in trap nests near DePauw University, Greencastle, IN. At least 100 or so (I can get exact numbers when I get back home).  Seemed to be in urban areas...

      Calliopsis andrendiformis - Odd specimens from Richard Orr

      Richard Orr collected a female C. andreniformis this year in Howard County, Maryland that had no light markings or maculations on the face other than a tiny dot on the supraclypeus....it took a while to figure out what that one was!

      Andrena andrenoides - South Carolina

      I collected a male specimen from the Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge this year that did not have the usual yellow spot on the base of the mandibles....not sure how common an occurrence that is, but it is a nice character that may not be 100%.

      Bombus sandersoni - Appalachians

      Others have mentioned this (Liz Day in particular) but after having seen several specimens this year from the Appalachians I have come to realize that many female B. sandersoni have extensive to completely yellow hairs on T5 and while B. vagans (the species most likely to be confused with B. sandersoni) often has yellow on this segment it is alway on the far sides...it appears, however, that yellow on T5 is not always there for B. sandersoni, so while not a 100% character it appears definitive when present.

      Anthophora abrupta, A. bomboides - Literature added

      Literature from R. Brook's revision have been added to the species accounts.

      An Hymn To The Morning

      ATTEND my lays, ye ever honour'd nine,
      Assist my labours, and my strains refine;
      In smoothest numbers pour the notes along,
      For bright Aurora now demands my song.
      Aurora hail, and all the thousand dies,
      Which deck thy progress through the vaulted skies:
      The morn awakes, and wide extends her rays,
      On ev'ry leaf the gentle zephyr plays;
      Harmonious lays the feather'd race resume,
      Dart the bright eye, and shake the painted plume.
      Ye shady groves, your verdant gloom display
      To shield your poet from the burning day:
      Calliope awake the sacred lyre,
      While thy fair sisters fan the pleasing fire:
      The bow'rs, the gales, the variegated skies
      In all their pleasures in my bosom rise.
      See in the east th' illustrious king of day!
      His rising radiance drives the shades away--
      But Oh! I feel his fervid beams too strong,
      And scarce begun, concludes th' abortive song.

      - Phillis Wheatley

      P Bees are fun.