Bees of Wisconsin Published

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2009

    All:

    Attached is a very lovely new fauna.  In this case the bees of Wisconsin.  One of the very very few state or provincial lists of bees ever published.

    Amy T. Wolf, and John S. Ascher. 2009. Bees of Wisconsin (Hymenoptera: Apoidea: Anthophila). THE GREAT LAKES ENTOMOLOGIST 41: 129-168.

    This is a model for everyone on what to publish when doing a regional fauna.

    Go out and do good things.

    Medallion

    I'm going to go out and walk around a little,
    because it's a nice day, in the seventies,
    after a night where the temperature dropped
    just below freezing.  There isn't much here
    in the anteroom of the self, I don't think,
    so why should I go on investigating
    what last night's dream meant, or the subtleties
    of the numerology of the soul as evidenced
    in cryptanalytical encodings in the poems
    of Bertran de Montsegur?  I'm out of here,
    and off on a little walk in the neighborhood,
    but first I'd like to tell you I appreciate
    your letting me share.  It meant a lot to me.
    Quite candidly, I'm not sure what to do
    on days like this, or any day, really.
    It all runs together, into a place
    the good seem to have occupied as their own
    and spruced up so nicely others of us who aren't
    so good, but not the worst of citizens,
    can't help but feel a little out of pocket,
    as the saying goes, and I for one would like
    to reach into my pocket and pull out
    the ruby medallion my mother gave to me,
    which fell out of my coat into the grate

    by the front tire of the bus I'd waited for
    across the street from the Schubert Theatre
    in Detroit in 1959.  I'd say,
    to anyone around inclined to listen,
    here is a little something you can have.
    I hope you like it.  Why don't you just keep it
    and give it to another good person some day.
    Tell them it used to be Bertran's, who came here once
    on a horse all spangled with rubies and golden bells.

            --Michael Heffernan

    P Bees are not optional (except in Antartica).
  • John S. Ascher
    Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2009
    All:

    Attached is a note documenting the occurrence of additional bee species,
    including exotics, for Illinois, mostly from urban sites:

    Rebecca K. Tonietto and John S. Ascher. 2009. Occurrence of the Old World
    bee species Hylaeus hyalinatus, Anthidium manicatum, A. oblongatum, and
    Megachile sculpturalis, and the native species Coelioxys banksi,
    Lasioglossum michiganense, and L. zophops in Illinois (Hymenoptera: Apoidea:
    Colletidae, Halictidae, Megachilidae). THE GREAT LAKES ENTOMOLOGIST
    41(1-2): 200-203.

    --
    John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
    Bee Database Project Manager