Discover Life Update - state records, Nomada, Osmia,

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2009

      New State Records

      Andrena illini - Sandhills of South Carolina
      Andrena nigrae - Sandhills of South Carolina
      Andrena nuda - Sandhills of South Carolina
      Coelioxys rufitarsis - Appalachians of SW Virginia - Nancy Adamson collector
      Lasioglossum asteris - South central Kentucky
      Lasioglossum lustrans - South central Kentucky

      Guides

      We reorganized the links to the individual guides from the Apoidea page, added more links to the guide to the genera (people didn't notice it as easily before) and now have each guide open in a new tab (in Firefox) or a new window (in Internet Explorer) rather than opening in the same window.
      If you use the guides a lot you may want to put a link at the top of your browser directly to the guides at:
      http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?search=Apoidea#Identification

      There are pictures now for almost all the Chrysids in the Chrysididae guide.....
      http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Chrysididae
      Just click on the species name to see them

      We have been added a bunch of new pictures taken by Deana Crumbling.   I consider these pictures to be as high or higher caliber than those taken by any of the fancy high dollar automontage types.  She uses a home brew set of lights, a simple digital microscope camera, freeware automontage software, and lots of patience and experimentation.  You can see the pictures at:
      http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20p?see=I_SD/0097&id=I_SD1&edit=I_SD1
      Pictures 9701-9787
      Note that we have about 10,000 pictures and drawings now online, feel free to link to them or if you want to use them we normally grant permission or will direct you to the author for permission..
      Guides and species with new pictures now include the Genera guide, Ceratina male and female, Anthophora, Calliopsis, and Agapostemon...\more to come as I go through remaining pictures.

      Osmia chalybea and O. texana revisited.  Mike Arduser sent in several suggestions for this group and we have modified the differentiation of the females based on his observations to now read as below:

      O. chalybea - Distance between the outside edges of the two lateral ocelli equal to or GREATER THAN the distance between the edge of a lateral ocellus and the a compound eye - Lower part of the propodeal triangle so heavily inscribed by microscopic lines that it reflects NO light - Hairs on hind tarsal segments black - In direct comparison larger, pitting along central line of scutum more widely

      O. texana - Distance between the outside edges of the two lateral ocelli LESS THAN the distance between the edge of a lateral ocellus and the compound eye - Lower part of the propodeal triangle, while inscribed with some microscopic lines, is light enough that this region clearly REFLECTS some light and is slightly shiny - Hairs on hind tarsal segments primarily brown to light brown - In direct comparison smaller, pitting along central line of scutum denser with fewer areas of clear gaps, and ocelli smaller - Comes out in summer

      Nomada Work
      We are in the long (but fun) process of writing up accounts of some of the changes to genus Nomada that Molly Rightmyer, Sean Brady, and Cory Sheffield and I have been involved in and many of you have contributed specimens for.  Since this is going to take a while we will send out sections as we get to them (we all have day jobs).

      Here is what we propose for Nomada augustiana....a very uncommonly collected southern U.S. species.  Ironically, its one we have no molecular data for.

      Nomada augustiana Mitchell

      Nomada augustiana Mitchell 1962: 402. [NMNH on indefinite loan from NC State (female) label data:  ]
      Nomada indusata Mitchell 1962: 418. [NMNH on indefinite loan from NC State (male) label data: ] new synonymy.

      Diagnosis.

      Females

      The combination of linear yellow maculations on tergites 2 and 3 that are medially interrupted, 3-5 long red setae that clearly extend beyond the white hairs present on the apical ends of the hind tibia, yellow throughout the dorsal portion of the scuttellum (shading to orange where it abuts the metanotum), limited amounts of black on the head, propodeum, and throughout the thorax is unique. N. obliterata is has similar color patterns to its integument but is readily separated by having only 2 submarginal cells, shorter hind tibial setae (about the same length as the surrounding white hairs), and the medial portion of the propodeal triangle with extensive black.  N. augustiana can be differentiated from N. armatella by the later's lack of interruptions on tergites 2 and 3 or if an interruption is present then it is extemely narrow, forming a thin longitudinally line-like gap; medial black longitudinal stripes on the scutum and propodeum; and very thin white setae on the apical ends of the hind tibiae.  N. bethunei is also somewhat similar in its coloration but has no yellow either on the scutellum or on tergite 1 and only very short red setae on the apical ends of the hind tibiae (shorter than the surrounding white hairs).

      Males

      The combination of more than 50% of the scutum being red, an almost entirely yellow scutellum, and 3-5 white or transparent long setae (clearly beyond the surrounding white hairs) on the apical end of the hind tibiae is unique.  N. obliterata is similar in coloration except that it usually has has an all black scutum or with only 2 short red longitudinal submedial lines and lacks the hind tibial setae.  N. bethunei is also similarly colored except that it lacks yellow on the scutellum and has no or only limited patches of minute hairs on the antennal flagellar segments (flagellar segments on N. augustiana have short dense hairs that are clearly visible at 40-60X).

      Distribution. - An uncommon southern species.

      Material examined. - spreadsheet available

      Molecular results. - None

      Variation. -  Only 1 female specimen is known.  Of the males, the Maryland specimen had slightly more yellow present and that was primarily expressed in the banding on tergites 2-4 appearing to be complete, a border of yellow along the lateral edges of the scutum, and more extensive yellow on the sternites.

      Discussion. -  While Mitchell only lists the holotype for N. augustiana in his original description and we have seen no other similar specimens, the gender association seems relatively straightforward, in fact, both the holotype of N. augustiana and a specimen of N. industata were collected on the same date, in the genus of tree (Salix), and at the same locality by the same collector.  Even prior to this realization it was clear from inspection that the setae pattern of the hind tibia of the male was simply a pale reflection of the long evenly spaced setae of the female and the similarly in the size, vase-shaped scape, the relatively hairy flagellar segments of the antennae, the relative lengths of flagellar segments 1 and 2; the relatively greater amounts of yellow in the face, scape, pronotal collar, scutellum rear face of the propodeum, and the tergites than other species of Nomada followed similar cross-gender patterns within the genus.

      Interestingly, despite the low number of specimens available for this species it seems fairly reasonable to assume that it is associated with wetland areas.  Labels on the Thomasville, GA specimens indicated they were collected in a marsh; the locality in Maryland is low-lying and borders tidal marshlands on the Chesapeake Bay, and the Augusta, GA specimens were collected off of Salix, a wetland tree.  A search for more specimens of this species may be rewarded by collecting near blooming Salix or around the nest sites of southern coastal plain Andrena species who favor Salix pollen.

      A word dropped careless on a Page
      May stimulate an eye
      When folded in perpetual seam
      The Wrinkled Maker lie