You Tube Video on how to net collect bees and wasps

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009

      Its nice to see all the new interest in surveying bees and wasps....really its been a renewed interest as prior to WWII there were quite a few collectors out there.  However, what has been hard to do is to personally train and help everyone interested in starting to collect and identify bees; yet the need is there, as catching, processing, and identifying bees is an acquired skill.  So as part of our continuing effort to train and inform people on various aspects of the bee world, we are going to try to do a series of videos and see if that is helpful.

      So here is our first effort .... a video on how to collect bees and wasps with nets and remove them from the net.   We are complete video novices and used an inexpensive Canon camera to take the video, my wife's digital tape recorder to do the audio, and Windows Movie Maker software to put it together.  While not National Geographic quality, it was fast, easy to do, and seems to do the trick.

      So, take a look, give us some feedback about what should be changed and what other videos you would find useful that we should make.

      We have put this video up on You Tube, but we will likely try to load it on other web sites too as the quality decreased on You Tube after we uploaded it (not that it was so high to begin with) .

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ZFlz3uA7E

      Destruction

      The universe is forever falling apart --
      No need to push the button,
      It collapses at a finger's touch:
      Why, it barely hangs on the tail of a sparrow's eye.

      The universe is so much eye secretion,
      Hordes leap from the tips
      Of your nostril hairs. Lift your right hand:
      It's in your palm. There's room enough
      On the sparrow's eyelash for the whole.

      A paltry thing, the universe:
      Here is all the strength, here the greatest strength.
      You and the sparrow are one
      And, should he wish, he can crush you.
      The universe trembles before him.

            - Shinkichi Takahashi

      P Bees are not optional.
    • Neil Stanley Cobb
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009

        I meant to make my request public, here it is again

        Sam,

        I would like to add it and others to our small but growing library of homemade videos http://www.bugs.nau.edu/learning_modules.html .  If you could make the wmv files available that would be great otherwise we could just link to them if you would rather.

        I would be interested in other videos people want to share and comments on any videos we post (e.g., better techniques, additional information etc.).

        For the real video idiots like myself using the Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera really makes it easy and I have been extremely happy with the quality.  If you are lucky enough to shoot a perfect scene you can put it on facebook or You Tube in minutes with the built in USB cord.

        Neil

        Neil S. Cobb, Director
        Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
        Peterson Hall, Bldg 22, Rm 330, Box 6077
        Northern Arizona University Flagstaff , AZ 86011
        http://www.mpcer.nau.edu http://bugs.nau.edu http://www.grail.nau.edu/

        Neil.Cobb@...
        (Home Office) 928-214-6237
        (Mobile Office) 928-607-4075

[...]

        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville , MD   20705
        Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

        Destruction

        The universe is forever falling apart --
        No need to push the button,
        It collapses at a finger's touch:
        Why, it barely hangs on the tail of a sparrow's eye.

        The universe is so much eye secretion,
        Hordes leap from the tips
        Of your nostril hairs. Lift your right hand:
        It's in your palm. There's room enough
        On the sparrow's eyelash for the whole.

        A paltry thing, the universe:
        Here is all the strength, here the greatest strength.
        You and the sparrow are one
        And, should he wish, he can crush you.
        The universe trembles before him.

              - Shinkichi Takahashi

        P Bees are not optional.

      • Dave Green
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
          Looks good, Sam.  Could we put it on my pollination page?  I'd also be glad to host any other videos you do in this series.

          The page is down for repairs and renovation right now. One thing I'm planning is extensive coverage of what you are doing...

          I'm planning on adding some videos of my own as well.

          Dave Green

[...]

          sam

          Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov