Re: [beemonitoring] Carpenter Bee Traps and the Dead Bee Lure

  • Estuardo Solorzano
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
      Sam Droege escribió:

      All:

      I just got off the phone with the maker of the Princeworks Carpenter Bee Trap (http://www.bee- trap.com/ index.htm).  I bought a couple traps to test them out as a generalized trap for cavity nesting bees and will let everyone know how that goes next year.  However something the maker mentioned that was intriguing and I thought I would pass it along.  He said that it took them a long time to figure out that you can greatly increase the time to first capture or catch in general by putting a dead bee in the trap.  This makes some sense in that a carpenter bee would be more likely to investigate something that smelled of carpenter bees, but one wonders if other trapping situations are affected by the odor of already trapped bees.

      That said, we have a paper that has just been accepted by Insect Conservation and Diversity that shows that there is only minor clumping of captures of bees in arrays or transects of bee bowls which, one would presume, would not be the case if there was an allure to a trap already containing dead bees.  Anyway, something to consider.

      sam

      Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
      Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

      Dirge in the Woods

      A wind sways the pines,
          And below
      Not a breath of wild air;
      Still as the mosses that glow
      On the flooring and over the lines
      Of the roots here and there.
      The pine-tree drops its dead;
      They are quiet, as under the sea.
      Overhead, overhead
      Rushes life in a race,
      As the clouds the clouds chase;
          And we go,
      And we drop like the fruits of the tree,
          Even we,
          Even so.

             - George Meredith

      P Bees are not optional.

      __________ Información de ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versión de la base de firmas de virus 4551 (20091028) __________

      ESET NOD32 Antivirus ha comprobado este mensaje.

      http://www.eset.com
      Dear All,

      I will be greatly pleased someone could let me know which congress or events regarding Bees and Pollinators will take place from now until the end of 2009.  Information on official websites for this events is of much use.

      Thank you very much in advance,