use of word metallic in bees

  • Robert Jean
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009
      Sam,
      I too agree we should leave the term metallic.  I t is very intuitive and useful to me and for identification.  Having taught several bee ID courses with you I understand where the confusion arises...however often I think metallic overtones are not observed due to inadequate lighting/ poor scope quality.  I believe in the glossary or somewhere we should write out a list of the genera that are metallic and what type of metallic.  I believe the biggest issues have been Osmia and Lasioglossum (Dialictus) - these seem to be the two genera the students see the metallic color the least.  Having the students examine these metallic genera (and making sure they have some in their reference collections) could be helpful.
      Rob Jean