Re: RE: [beemonitoring] On the use of the word "metallic" in descriptions of bees

  • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
      Sam,

      I tend to agree with Barb, that the simpler the terms the better.  However, applying metllic to a group, when some are not clearly so, is probably not a good use of the descriptor, and one of your suggestions would be better.  Something with a broader meaning??
      Anita
      -Albert Einstein

      Nov 5, 2009 07:23:06 AM, barbara.abraham@... wrote:

      Sam,

      Personally I have never had any trouble telling “metallic” from “non-metallic” in general, but I have not used the keys excessively yet for bees.  My only comment is that we should stick to a one word description instead of a six-seven  word description, when the one word is clear to most users.  Keys are already complicated enough.

      I will be interested in what other members of the list say on this topic!

      Barb

      Barbara J. Abraham, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor

      SEEDS Ecology Chapter Advisor