Has anyone used aerial photographs to get flower density estimates?

  • Carla Essenberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2009
      Hello All,

      I am planning a moderately large-scale pollination study using a highly abundant composite, the tarweed Holocarpha virgata (a grassland species common in much of California), and am wondering whether I might be able to get better estimates of flower density on the scale of several hectares by using aerial photographs (say, from a few hundred feet up) than I would be able to do with the amount of on-the-ground flower counting that I can afford.  Have any of you ever done anything of this sort, or heard of its being done?  I would be grateful for any leads.

      Cheers,

      Carla

      --
      Carla Essenberg