Re: [beemonitoring] Klutz

  • hennetjie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
      Pardon - forgot to say it was Sam's clue and Doug Yanega's identification that put me right. Was just going to send a picture when they stopped me in my tracks.

      Thanks again.

      hen

      Cannot promise that it will never happen again. A klutz is a klutz.

    • Liz Day
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
        You're not the only one; many collections of "bumblebees" contain
        robber flies.

        Liz D.
        Indianapolis
      • hennetjie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
          Thank you, Liz and all,

          I think now I know better what to watch out for in future, yes. Big fly eyes
          and fatter bodies - from afar, that is.

          Yes too to Rob: Apis mellifera scutella, methinks. They live in our garden.
          Don't know where the robber fly lives. Have only noticed that one and I
          checked hundreds of pictures in search for another one... and fame... Grin.

          hen
        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
            do not feel so bad
            the grade 6 Canadian Math book of my son have a photograph of a syrphid and authors of the book  call it "bee" and wrote a small text  about bees ( a mistake).

            Julio

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
              Check out the cover photo of the Facts on File reprint of O'Toole and Raw's "Bees of the World" for further adventures with fake bees.

              best

              Jack

              To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com