Klutz

  • hennetjie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009

      Hi Mr Sam & all,

      I beg all your pardons for being a klutz and wasting your time. Thank you for putting me straight. Here is my (non-)bee picture of a Syrphid fly (Eristalinus taeniops - male) plus another one to show how close the resemblance was - to a non-entomologist.

      And please don't tell me both are flies.

      Cannot promise that it will never happen again. A klutz is a klutz.

      Have a good day,
       hen
    • hennetjie
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
        Pardon - forgot to say it was Sam's clue and Doug Yanega's identification that put me right. Was just going to send a picture when they stopped me in my tracks.

        Thanks again.

        hen

        Cannot promise that it will never happen again. A klutz is a klutz.

      • Liz Day
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
          You're not the only one; many collections of "bumblebees" contain
          robber flies.

          Liz D.
          Indianapolis
        • hennetjie
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
            Thank you, Liz and all,

            I think now I know better what to watch out for in future, yes. Big fly eyes
            and fatter bodies - from afar, that is.

            Yes too to Rob: Apis mellifera scutella, methinks. They live in our garden.
            Don't know where the robber fly lives. Have only noticed that one and I
            checked hundreds of pictures in search for another one... and fame... Grin.

            hen
          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
              do not feel so bad
              the grade 6 Canadian Math book of my son have a photograph of a syrphid and authors of the book  call it "bee" and wrote a small text  about bees ( a mistake).

              Julio

              To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
                Check out the cover photo of the Facts on File reprint of O'Toole and Raw's "Bees of the World" for further adventures with fake bees.

                best

                Jack

                To: beemonitoring@ yahoogroups. com