Re: [beemonitoring] Coelioxys

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
      The heading of Sam's email suggests that his characters apply for males.
      Female sayi are in most cases easily distinguished by the protuberances on
      the clypeus.

      C. atlantica is now recognized as a jr. syn. of C. octodentata, a common
      species in Ontario. The most similar species are sayi and rufiventris, of
      which the latter should be particularly common in Ontario. Baker (1975) is
      the definitive reference with updated keys, but Mitchell (1962) is still
      useful, especially the illustrations, if one is aware of Baker's
      synonymies. I find that I can identify most Coelioxys, excepting, e.g.,
      the difficult octodentata vs. sayi problem mentioned by Sam, simply by
      matching specimens with Mitchell's illustrations and then double-checking
      using his key.

      Matthias, if you find very small Coelioxys these will likely be modesta or
      moesta, and those with dark legs could be sodalis or porterae (or perhaps
      funeraria).

      Cheers,
      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
        By "rufiventris" I meant rufitarsis. Sorry for this mistake.

        I am not the first to have problems with the name "rufitarsis", as it was
        originally proposed as "rufitarsus" by Smith, 1854: 271, but was
        subsequently miscited as "rufitarsis" by Dalla Torre, 1896 (and Mitchell,
        1962; Baker). Dalla Torre's spelling was a lapsus and not an emendation,
        as he miscited Smith's original spelling as "rufitarsis". Hurd, 1979,
        cited the original correctly as "rufitarsus" but accepted Dalla Torre's
        "rufitarsis" spelling as valid.

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006

          Matthias:

          Ah, I should have mentioned that this was only for males....the females are fairly striaghtfoward to tell apart in these two species (although there are often many mistakes in collections)   See description below:

          Sayi - clypeus clearly indented in the center, the rim forming 2 evenly curved lobes, visible even when hair covers the entire clypeus, the lobes very slightly elevated at their ends above the rest of the surface

          The other species do not have the lobes as mentioned above.

          Its not a wonder you had problems with atlantica as it is now considered to be a synonym of octodentata.

          Sayi is usually the more common species in most areas, but together with octodentata they usually make up about 75% or more of what is captured in any region in the Mid-Atlantic area and likely elsewhere in the East

          I think Rebekah's and my guide to Coelioxys males and females are a big improvement over Mitchell, but we will be doing another round of proofing this summer to make them even more robust.

          http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Coelioxys_female

          http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Coelioxys_male

          sam

          Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

          Upon a Wasp Chilled with Cold

          The bear that breathes the northern blast
          Did numb, torpedo-like, a wasp
          Whose stiffened limbs encramped, lay bathing
          In Sol's warm breath and shine as saving,
          Which with her hands she chafes and stands
          Rubbing her legs, shanks, thighs, and hands.
          Her pretty toes, and fingers' ends
          Nipped with this breath, she out extends
          Unto the sun, in great desire
          To warm her digits at that fire.
          Doth hold her temples in this state
          Where pulse doth beat, and head doth ache.
          Doth turn, and stretch her body small,
          Doth comb her velvet capital.
          As if her little brain pan were
          A volume of choice precepts clear.
          As if her satin jacket hot
          Contained apothecary's shop
          Of nature's receipts, that prevails
          To remedy all her sad ails,
          As if her velvet helmet high
          Did turret rationality.
          She fans her wing up to the wind
          As if her pettycoat were lined,
          With reason's fleece, and hoists sails
          And humming flies in thankful gales
          Unto her dun curled palace hall
          Her warm thanks offering for all.

                Lord, clear my misted sight that I
          May hence view Thy divinity,
          Some sparks whereof thou up dost hasp
          Within this little downy wasp
          In whose small corporation we
          A school and a schoolmaster see,
          Where we may learn, and easily find
          A nimble spirit bravely mind
          Her work in every limb: and lace
          It up neat with a vital grace,
          Acting each part though ne'er so small
          Here of this fustian animal.
          Till I enravished climb into
          The Godhead on this ladder do,
          Where all my pipes inspired upraise
          An heavenly music furred with praise.
                - Edward Taylor

          Matthias Buck <mbuck@...>
          Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          04/20/2006 09:39 AM

          Please respond to
          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

          beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject
          [beemonitoring] Coelioxys

[...]

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Matthias Buck
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2006
            Thanks for the clarifications. I should start reading subject headers
            more carefully.

            I will get Baker and give our Coelixys another go. We do have some
            smaller Coelioxys species here as well. All in all about eight
            identified species from Ontario in our collection. We'll see whether
            they are correctly identified.

            I haven't mustered enough courage yet to look at our Nomada.

            Cheers,

            Matthias