Re: [beemonitoring] Carpenter Bee Traps and the Dead Bee Lure

  • Liz Day
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2009
      >I just got off the phone with the maker of the Princeworks Carpenter
      >Bee Trap
      >(<http://www.bee-trap.com/index.htm>http://www.bee-trap.com/index.htm).
      >.... He said that it took them a long time to figure out that you
      >can greatly increase the time to first capture or catch in general
      >by putting a dead bee in the trap. This makes some sense in that a
      >carpenter bee would be more likely to investigate something that
      >smelled of carpenter bees, but one wonders if other trapping
      >situations are affected by the odor of already trapped bees.
      >
      >That said, we have a paper that has just been accepted by Insect
      >Conservation and Diversity that shows that there is only minor
      >clumping of captures of bees in arrays or transects of bee bowls
      >which, one would presume, would not be the case if there was an
      >allure to a trap already containing dead bees.

      Perhaps the difference is related to the bees' motivation. Probably
      carpenter bees attracted to a hole with their own scent are looking
      for nests or mates (I've seen males fly by a nest hole, then suddenly
      backtrack, perhaps as they pick up the scent?). Foraging bees that
      end up in bowls might not be looking for other members of their own
      species, only for food.

      Cheers,
      Liz

      ---------------------------
      Liz Day
      3221 Merrick Ln. 3B
      Indianapolis, Indiana 46222 USA
      (40 N, 86 W; USDA zone 5b)
      317-924-0008
      ---------------------------
    • Estuardo Solorzano
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2009
        Sam Droege escribió:

        All:

        I just got off the phone with the maker of the Princeworks Carpenter Bee Trap (http://www.bee- trap.com/ index.htm).  I bought a couple traps to test them out as a generalized trap for cavity nesting bees and will let everyone know how that goes next year.  However something the maker mentioned that was intriguing and I thought I would pass it along.  He said that it took them a long time to figure out that you can greatly increase the time to first capture or catch in general by putting a dead bee in the trap.  This makes some sense in that a carpenter bee would be more likely to investigate something that smelled of carpenter bees, but one wonders if other trapping situations are affected by the odor of already trapped bees.

        That said, we have a paper that has just been accepted by Insect Conservation and Diversity that shows that there is only minor clumping of captures of bees in arrays or transects of bee bowls which, one would presume, would not be the case if there was an allure to a trap already containing dead bees.  Anyway, something to consider.

        sam

        Sam Droege  sdroege@usgs. gov
        Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

        Dirge in the Woods

        A wind sways the pines,
            And below
        Not a breath of wild air;
        Still as the mosses that glow
        On the flooring and over the lines
        Of the roots here and there.
        The pine-tree drops its dead;
        They are quiet, as under the sea.
        Overhead, overhead
        Rushes life in a race,
        As the clouds the clouds chase;
            And we go,
        And we drop like the fruits of the tree,
            Even we,
            Even so.

               - George Meredith

        P Bees are not optional.

        __________ Información de ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versión de la base de firmas de virus 4551 (20091028) __________

        ESET NOD32 Antivirus ha comprobado este mensaje.

        http://www.eset.com
        Dear All,

        I will be greatly pleased someone could let me know which congress or events regarding Bees and Pollinators will take place from now until the end of 2009.  Information on official websites for this events is of much use.

        Thank you very much in advance,