RE: [beemonitoring] Fwd: Advice for grad student

  • Hendrix, Stephen D
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009

    We’ve been looking at cavity nesters here in eastern Iowa over the last couple of summers and I concur with Michael’s points below about needed a massive number of traps.  We find low use of cavities by bees regardless whether we use blocks of wood with holes or hollowed out bamboo segments.  We do, however, get lots of use by wasps, ants, spiders, etc.  I’ve attached a few photos to show what the set ups looks like.  We are now looking at occupation of plant stems of introduced and native plants by cavity nesters.

    Steve Hendrix

    University of Iowa