RE: [beemonitoring] Fwd: Advice for grad student

  • Wilson, Michael E
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
      RE: [beemonitoring] Fwd: Advice for grad student

      I'm a grad student and part of my project was putting out trap nests
      in urban and rural areas. It was a very small side part of the project.
      For our areas, usage was not great, so I pretty much determined that
      to get any meaningful data out of it, I would need more of a massive
      deployment of small, inexpensive, easy to make nests, instead of what I used
      which was 10 large nests with many different sized holes in 10 locations.
      I ended up not following up on that part of the
      project due to time constraints and priorities. So, in summary my recommendation would
      be to try to design any trap nest survey in a way that a small amount of usage
      will still achieve publishable data in the first year. So, lots and lots of
      nests may be needed. If you get massive usage all the better. I would still
      be nervous about achieving success in one year here, and would want to
      add a backup plan that is closely related.
      -Michael Wilson
      University of Tennessee

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009

        I agree with   Michael

        According to my West Indian experience colonization of trap nests were very fast and effective in wasps and bees that nest in cavities. Also the emerging information about natural history is overwhelming. Don’t forget Karl  Krombein!

        Cheers

        Julio A Genaro

        To: krussell@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        E-mail: krussell@njit. edu
        Web: http://web.njit. edu/~krussell & http://research. amnh.org/ invertzoo/ spida

        Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from Hotmail®.
      • Hendrix, Stephen D
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009

        We’ve been looking at cavity nesters here in eastern Iowa over the last couple of summers and I concur with Michael’s points below about needed a massive number of traps.  We find low use of cavities by bees regardless whether we use blocks of wood with holes or hollowed out bamboo segments.  We do, however, get lots of use by wasps, ants, spiders, etc.  I’ve attached a few photos to show what the set ups looks like.  We are now looking at occupation of plant stems of introduced and native plants by cavity nesters.

        Steve Hendrix

        University of Iowa