Bumblebees needed, please forward widely!

  • Sheila Colla
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2009
      Greetings,

      While bumblebees seem to be a pretty well studied group of insects, we’ve run
      into a few taxonomic grey areas in North America. The NAPPC Bumblebee task
      force met last week and suggested we figure things out by using DNA barcoding
      as we have this resource available to us. Below are species and geographic
      areas where specimens (<10 years old) are most urgently needed. We only need
      one or two specimens from various locations. If you have access to these
      specimens and can spare a few, please contact me (Sheila Colla) at
      scolla@... or Cory Sheffield at corysheffield@... . Thanks!

      -B. ternarius
      -B. pensylvanicus
      -B. fervidus
      -B. californicus
      -B. nevadensis
      -B. occidentalis and B. terricola
      -B. ashtoni
      -Any representative bumblebee specimens from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the
      Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma
      -Any representative bumblebee specimens from Alaska, Northwest territories,
      Yukon, Nunavut, northern Canadian provinces, Ellesmere Island etc.

      --
      Sheila Colla <scolla@...>
      Ph.D. Candidate (Biology)