Make your own bee washer

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2009

      All:

      In past emails we mentioned how we now use a magnetic stirrer to wash our bees.

      New, these run about $100.00

      However,  I just ran into a do-it-yourself stirrer set up that looks pretty slick, this is something very similar to what I saw Harold Ikerd create.

      http://www.instructables.com/id/Magnetic-Stirrer/

      The comments at the end are useful for trouble shooting, possible variations, and how to make the speed vary.

      Have fun.

      The Minimal

      I study the lives on a leaf: the little
      Sleepers, numb nudgers in cold dimensions,
      Beetles in caves, newts, stone-deaf fishes,
      Lice tethered to long limp subterranean weeds,
      Squirmers in bogs,
      And bacterial creepers
      Wriggling through wounds
      Like elvers in ponds,
      Their wan mouths kissing the warm sutures,
      Cleaning and caressing,
      Creeping and healing.

         - Theodore Roethke
    • Crumbling.Deana@epamail.epa.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2009
      There are a bunch of stir plates on Ebay.
      http://www.highandmightybrewing.com/brew/beer+yeast.aspx

      Other places to buy home brewing stirplates:
      http://www.brewershardware.com/stirplate.htm

      All of these stir plates are cheap because they are built for home beer
      brewers, not for chemical resistance, etc. needed in a lab. I bought one
      of the black ones you see being resold on Ebay for a song, only I bought
      it brand new from the guy making them--it was $40. It works fine.

      --Deana

      |------------>
      | From: |
      |------------>
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |Sam Droege <sdroege@...> |
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | To: |
      |------------>
      |beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com |
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | Date: |
      |------------>
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |10/25/2009 07:17 PM |
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |------------>
      | Subject: |
      |------------>
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |[beemonitoring] Make your own bee washer |
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

      All:

      In past emails we mentioned how we now use a magnetic stirrer to wash our bees.

      New, these run about $100.00

      However, I just ran into a do-it-yourself stirrer set up that looks pretty slick,
      this is something very similar to what I saw Harold Ikerd create.

      http://www.instructables.com/id/Magnetic-Stirrer/

      The comments at the end are useful for trouble shooting, possible variations, and
      how to make the speed vary.

      Have fun.

      sam

      Sam Droege sdroege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov