Fwd: Advice for grad student

  • Kimberly N. Russell
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
      Dear All,

      [I sent this earlier from the wrong e-mail account and I think it
      therefore did not appear on the list. If it did, forgive the duplicate
      e-mail request!]

      There is a graduate student in my department who is planning a study
      in which she would like to augment the native bee populations in a
      particular (urban) area (plots). She asked for my advice on how this
      could be done and I didn't really have an answer. The only thing I
      could think of was maybe using trap nests, i.e., put them out in
      natural areas, then move them before emergence time? I would
      appreciate any thoughts on this. Luckily, she is in the early stages
      of developing her project, so there is plenty of time to tweak her
      plans.

      Thanks!
      Kim
      Dr. Kimberly N. Russell

      University Lecturer
      Department of Biology
      New Jersey Institute of Technology

      and

      Research Scientist
      Division of Invertebrate Zoology
      American Museum of Natural History

      phone: 1-973-642-7976
      E-mail: krussell@...
      Web: http://web.njit.edu/~krussell & http://research.amnh.org/invertzoo/spida
    • Kevin Matteson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
        Hi Kim,
        The efficacy of any conservation action for bees in urban plots depends on what types of bees and urban habitat your student is interested in. Cavity nests might help in certain urban habitats such as rooftop gardens (with little woody substrate) but be less beneficial in large city parks. In NYC, we have been discussing adding soil substrate boxes to some urban habitats largely surrounded by concrete (e.g. green streets). Also, the NYC Parks Department recently added "bee gardens" (floral additions of roughly 400 native plants) to a number of parks, which may be of interest-
        http://greatpollinatorproject.org/other.html

        I doubt there is any need to import the bees as they can move in on their own provided there are floral resources and nesting substrate. Sounds like a cool project. Feel free to contact me for further details.

        On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Kimberly N. Russell <krussell@...> wrote:

[...]

        Kevin C. Matteson
        Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow
        Department of Biological Sciences
        Fordham University
        Bronx, NY  10458
        (646) 373-0250

        Blog- http://greatpollinatorproject.org/blog/

      • Wilson, Michael E
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009
          RE: [beemonitoring] Fwd: Advice for grad student

          I'm a grad student and part of my project was putting out trap nests
          in urban and rural areas. It was a very small side part of the project.
          For our areas, usage was not great, so I pretty much determined that
          to get any meaningful data out of it, I would need more of a massive
          deployment of small, inexpensive, easy to make nests, instead of what I used
          which was 10 large nests with many different sized holes in 10 locations.
          I ended up not following up on that part of the
          project due to time constraints and priorities. So, in summary my recommendation would
          be to try to design any trap nest survey in a way that a small amount of usage
          will still achieve publishable data in the first year. So, lots and lots of
          nests may be needed. If you get massive usage all the better. I would still
          be nervous about achieving success in one year here, and would want to
          add a backup plan that is closely related.
          -Michael Wilson
          University of Tennessee

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009

            I agree with   Michael

            According to my West Indian experience colonization of trap nests were very fast and effective in wasps and bees that nest in cavities. Also the emerging information about natural history is overwhelming. Don’t forget Karl  Krombein!

            Cheers

            Julio A Genaro

            To: krussell@...; beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            E-mail: krussell@njit. edu
            Web: http://web.njit. edu/~krussell & http://research. amnh.org/ invertzoo/ spida

            Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from Hotmail®.
          • Hendrix, Stephen D
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2009

            We’ve been looking at cavity nesters here in eastern Iowa over the last couple of summers and I concur with Michael’s points below about needed a massive number of traps.  We find low use of cavities by bees regardless whether we use blocks of wood with holes or hollowed out bamboo segments.  We do, however, get lots of use by wasps, ants, spiders, etc.  I’ve attached a few photos to show what the set ups looks like.  We are now looking at occupation of plant stems of introduced and native plants by cavity nesters.

            Steve Hendrix

            University of Iowa