Re: Re: [beemonitoring] Gynandromorphic Andrena - Stylopized?

  • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2009
      FYI All,

      Walter T. Rothenbuhler, Ohio State University, did some work with gynandromorphic Apis mellifera many years ago.  He determined that in this species, gynandromorphs occurred because of development of accessary sperm.  If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the reference.

      Anita

      -Albert Einstein

      Oct 16, 2009 10:48:40 AM, dyanega@... wrote:

      All:

      I just came across an Andrena miserabilis that I collected 2 springs ago in Lee County, SC.  It turns out, however, that the head is clearly male (yellow clypeus, 13 antennal segments, no fovea) and the thorax and abdomen are female (complete propodeal corbicula, scopal hairs and abdominal segments).

      I don't study or keep such specimens, but I know that others do.  So I am happy to send it to whoever studies such things and would like it in their collection.

      That sort of thing sounds like what happens when an Andrena has a stylopid in it, though I suppose you'd have spotted one if it were there.

      However, this does remind me that Jakub Straka at Charles University in Prague has a standing request for any and all bee specimens bearing strepsipterans - he's doing a combined morphological/molecular revision of the bee-associated Stylopidae, and his work is entirely limited by the availability of material. He's collecting in Cote D'Ivoire at the moment, but can be contacted at straka.jakub.1@... in case people have specimens he could use.

      Peace,
      --

      Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
      Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega