Gynandromorphic Andrena miserabilis found and available

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2009

      I just came across an Andrena miserabilis that I collected 2 springs ago in Lee County, SC.  It turns out, however, that the head is clearly male (yellow clypeus, 13 antennal segments, no fovea) and the thorax and abdomen are female (complete propodeal corbicula, scopal hairs and abdominal segments).

      I don't study or keep such specimens, but I know that others do.  So I am happy to send it to whoever studies such things and would like it in their collection.

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

       UNKNOWN BIRD

      Out of the dry days
      through the dusty leaves
      far across the valley
      those few notes never
      heard here before
      one fluted phrase
      floating over its
      wandering secret
      all at once wells up
      somewhere else
      and is gone before it
      goes on fallen into
      its own echo leaving
      a hollow through the air
      that is dry as before
      where is it from
      hardly anyone
      seems to have noticed it
      so far but who now
      would have been listening
      it is not native here
      that may be the one
      thing we are sure of
      it came from somewhere
      else perhaps alone
      so keeps on calling for
      no one who is here
      hoping to be heard
      by another of its own
      unlikely origin
      trying once more the same few
      notes that began the song
      of an oriole last heard
      years ago in another
      existence there
      it goes again tell
      no one it is here
      foreign as we are
      who are filling the days
      with a sound of our own.

       W. S. Merwin

    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2009
        Re: [beemonitoring] Gynandromorphic Andrena - Stylopiz
        All:

        I just came across an Andrena miserabilis that I collected 2 springs ago in Lee County, SC.  It turns out, however, that the head is clearly male (yellow clypeus, 13 antennal segments, no fovea) and the thorax and abdomen are female (complete propodeal corbicula, scopal hairs and abdominal segments).

        I don't study or keep such specimens, but I know that others do.  So I am happy to send it to whoever studies such things and would like it in their collection.

        That sort of thing sounds like what happens when an Andrena has a stylopid in it, though I suppose you'd have spotted one if it were there.

        However, this does remind me that Jakub Straka at Charles University in Prague has a standing request for any and all bee specimens bearing strepsipterans - he's doing a combined morphological/molecular revision of the bee-associated Stylopidae, and his work is entirely limited by the availability of material. He's collecting in Cote D'Ivoire at the moment, but can be contacted at straka.jakub.1@... in case people have specimens he could use.

        Peace,
        --

        Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
        Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2009
          FYI All,

          Walter T. Rothenbuhler, Ohio State University, did some work with gynandromorphic Apis mellifera many years ago.  He determined that in this species, gynandromorphs occurred because of development of accessary sperm.  If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the reference.

          Anita

          -Albert Einstein

          All: