Acmaeodera (Buprestidae) in bee bowls and a new guide to the Eastern species

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007

      In the East we can get quite a slug of Acmaeodera buprestid beetles in our bowls in the spring.  With the help of Chuck Bellamy and Norm Woodley I have put together a guide to the 6 species that occur east of the Mississippi.

      You can check out the guide at:

      http://pick4.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?guide=Acmaeodera

      No pictures yet, but they are coming at some point.

      Frank Parker has told me that this group also shows up regularly in the West where they are very species rich.  I would be interested in hearing from others on this list as to their impressions and experiences with this group.  Do you see many of them, are they common, do you think they would be worth tracking in a monitoring program along with bees, etc.?

      Thanks.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The frog in the well knows nothing of the great ocean.
       -Japanese Proverb
    • Karen Wetherill
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2007
        I get a few, but not high numbers. I pin most of them up when I find
        them. If anyone is interested in them, they can have them. I would
        appreciate duplicates returned for our voucher collection if they are
        identified to species. I collect on the Sevilleta National Wildlife
        Refuge, south of Albuquerque and work out of the Museum of Southwestern
        Biology at the University of New Mexico. Cheers, Karen