John Free ag pollination book now searchable on-line

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2009

      Folks- for those of you who don’t have access to John Free’s exhaustive review of research into insect pollination of crops (and I mean ALL crops!), you can now read it on-line thanks to the persistent efforts of Barbara Herren at the UN FAO in Rome.  You will be amazed by the wealth of detail, scope of literature and geographic coverage, and depth of chronological detail, all organized by the family, genus and species of crop plant (so for instance, Rosaceae: Prunus).

      To view it, go to:

      http://www.internationalpollinatorsinitiative.org/

      then click on:

      “ Pollination Information Management System (PIMS)” ( bar in upper right region of your screen)

      then

      What is the current understanding of managing the pollination of a particular crop?

      With this resource in hand, you can build on the studies that precede you and see where new research is needed.  It is a pity that John Free himself is no longer alive to see his book made available electronically for free to the world.

      Yours,

      jim

      James H. Cane

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      web pages: www.ars.usda.gov/npa/beelab

      http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane