Re: [beemonitoring] The email from Ted Leischner is spam.....

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2009
      >Sorry everyone, looks like this fellow hacked into our listserv. I
      >have booted him off, but periodically we have had problems with such
      >hackers.

      Actually, not technically - this is a scam that hacks into a *real*
      e-mail account belonging to a real person, and sends out fraudulent
      messages via the valid address. In other words, Ted Leischner is
      probably a real subscriber to the list, so it was Ted who got hacked,
      not the list. I received a very similar message from a colleague's
      email account that claimed they were stranded in a hotel in Cardiff,
      Wales, and asked for a Western Union telegram payment. The same
      message was received by everyone in that colleague's e-mail address
      book.

      Evidently, someone in the UK discovered a way to hack into yahoo
      accounts, and has created a new cottage industry.

      Peace,