Re: [beemonitoring] April Workshop on Native Bee Identification at Patuxent

  • BetsyKlinger@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2007
      Sam,

      I am interested in taking part in the workshop, although I am a neophyte and was only able to come to one open lab so far.   I expect to have a LOT more time beginning in May.

      Please let me know if you think you'll have room for me.

      Thanks,
      Betsy

      All:

      It looks like we might have room for one or two additional participants at the Native Bee Identification Workshop we will be holding from April 16th to the 20th.  We will be emphasizing eastern bee identification at the species level.  In addition to myself, Rob Jean will be one of the instructors.

      Earlier today I sent personal invitations to everyone who mentioned they wanted to take the workshop.  If you have not heard back from me then please contact me as soon as possible!

      The details are described in the attached file.

      Thanks.

    • Malinda Slagle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
        Message
         Hi all-
        I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Nosema ceranae parasite that supposedly is affecting Spanish honeybee hives (http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/43163/story.htm).  Could this be in any way related to the colony collapse disorder here in the United States?
        A quick search on Wikipedia suggests that this may indeed be the case, but I was wondering if anyone had more scientific documentation on this.
        Thanks-
        Malinda

        Malinda W. Slagle
        Restoration Ecologist
        Litzsinger Road Ecology Center
        Missouri Botanical Garden
        9711 Litzsinger Rd
        St Louis MO 63124
        314-961-4410
        malinda.slagle@...

        To discover and share knowledge about plants and their environment, in order to preserve and enrich life.
        -mission of the Missouri Botanical Garden

      • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20, 2007
          Dear Group,

          I've been talking to members of the colony collapse disorder research coallition of Penn State, USDA, ARS Beltsville, and North Carolina State U.  they've been looking at everything they have tools to look at, including using the honey bee genome results to sort out all the DNA from samples.  turns out that most of the Nosema in the U.S. is ceranae, and has been for some time.  And this is not consistently found with dead colonies.  If fact, many colonies have everything, viruses, foulbroods, mites, etc.  They have some leads, but we are all betting that it is not just one thing, but a host of stressors.  Including management styles.  Work continues at a great rate.

          Anita M. Collins
          USDA, ARS, Bee Research Lab, RETIRED.
        • David_r_smith@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007

            I am new to the native bee monitoring world so please bear with me on a basic entomological question.  Most of my previous monitoring work is on aquatic insects.

            Is anyone aware of a reference for constructing light traps for night-flying insects?  I'd rather build one then buy one.  This will give me something to do at night after checking pan traps for bees.

            Thanks a lot,

            Dave Smith
            U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
            323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
            Flagstaff, AZ  86001
            (928) 226-0614 x 109
            "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen