Sabbatical Travel Plans

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2009
      Dear Family, Friends and Colleagues:

      This communication reminds you that I will be on sabbatical from August 30 until November 21 and I will not be in e-touch.  A "vacation responder" will go on this email address on August 28. If you have an emergency it is o.k. to email my joint-research partner, Retha Meier <rmeier3@...> as we will work together every day in Western Australia (September 1 - October 25).

      If you want to speak to me before I leave call me at work (314-977-7152) by August 27 or at home (314-961-8363) by August 29.  Here's the current schedule (subject to change) and I will rent a "traveler-type" cell phone while I am in Australia.  Also, I'm scheduled to give a talk and book signing at each place so there is an extra contact listed if you want to attend or need to contact me.

      1) August 30 - October 25 (Perth. Australia).  Dr. R. Meier and I will be guests of the laboratory of Kingsley Dixon <kidixon@...> at the Kings Park and Botanical Garden, Perth (telephone 61-8-9480-3614). The speaking engagement is set for September 17 (contact Rachael Ord; <Rachael.Ord@...>).

      2) October 25 - October 31 (Melbourne, Australia).  I will be staying with my in-laws in Bundoorah.  If there is an emergency please call Ruffino Santos (61-3-9467-6307), or Todd Santos (61-3-467-6008) or email Lilia Santos <lilia.l.santos@...>.  The speaking engagement is at the Royal Botanic Gardens. Mueller Hall 1-2PM on October 27, contact <Tom.May@...>..

      3) November 1 - 15 (Sydney and Mullimbimby, NSW). I will spend a couple of days in Sydney but most of the time will be at a rainforest site in northern New South Wales.  In case of emergency contact Peter Weston at work (61-2-9231-8111) or email <Peter.Weston@...>. Speaking engagement at Nutcote, Neutral Bay on November 15 (contact Yvonne Hyde <gibbsian@...,au>). There may be an additional talk at the RBG, Sydney on November 1 but it has not been confirmed to date.

      4) November 17 - 19? (Oswego, New York). Speaking engagement on November 18.  Please contact Dr, James Seago at the Dept. of Biology, S.U.N.Y. Oswego <seago@...>.

      Unfortunately, Linda is not joining me in Australia but she will come to Oswego with me.  She is trapped in St. Louis due to training for a new computer system at her job.  I'm sure she will appreciate hearing from you while she is alone (Telephone: 314-961-8363).

      As Linda is on a 12 hour work schedule three days each week my mother will need special care.  She is going to "summer camp" (as she calls it) at a nursing home in Chesterfield, Missouri from August 28 - November 21, so send cards and letters to...

      Mrs Arlene Bernhardt
      c/o The Cedars at the JCA
      13190 South Outer 40 Road
      Chesterfield, Missouri 63017

      Unfortunately, I will not be with her for my birthday (10/21) or on my late father's birthday (10/31).  If you want to call her and cheer her up dial the following number and ask for Mrs. Arlene Bernhardt...

      Telephone: 314-434-3330

      Sincerely, Peter