Validity of status!

  • felbay2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2009
      All: I was wondering whether Axestotrigona, Apotrigona and Meliplebeia are valid genera of bees or they are subgenera under genus Meliponula.
      Thanks
    • alrunen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
        Hello,

        There has been very little work on the systematics of the Afrotropical stingless bees (save some taxonomic works). Whether genus or subgenus depends on the classification you follow. I treated them as valid in two recent papers (Rasmussen & Cameron, 2007, in press). Michener (1990, 2000, 2007) kept them under Meliponula.

        You can read more about the Afrotropical stingless bees at Alain Pauly's excellent site (including a pdf of my 2007 paper and many others on Afrotropical stingless bees):

        http://www.atlashymenoptera.net/page.asp?id=121

        Cheers,

        Claus