Best way to affix bee wings to microscope slides?

  • tulayylmaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 2:48 PM
      Greetings:

      In my lab we are affixing bee wings to microscope slides for study. We are currently using entellan fixative to fix the wing to the slide and coverslip. We pick the bee's forewing. After dripping some entellan onto coverslip, we put the wing on it. But entellan is really sticky, it spreads over the wing and makes harder to see the veins. Also, it is hard to put the wing on it with tweezers. The wing is so small, you can't see if you put it on the right way or not. And you have to wait for a while to get the entellan is dry. I see lots of disadvantages with this method.

      If anyone has another method for affixing wings that you could share with me, i'd appreciate that.

      Thank you...

      Tulay YILMAZ
      Biology Department of Hacettepe University
      Turkey