Slightly Off-topic Need Your Help to test a Wasp and Yellowjacket Pilot Survey....involves Beer!

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2009

      I could use your help to run a North American pilot test of an inexpensive trap for yellowjackets and hornets.  If  successful it might result in development of a unique long-term survey for this group.
      I have been in correspondence with workers in the Czech Republic, Great Britain, and Northwestern North America regarding the use of traps made from plastic drink and soda bottles partially filled with beer or apple juice/cider.  These groups have been successful in trapping a variety of wasps.  We would like to see something similar tested throughout the continent,  this year we would like to get a feel for what species and situations might be most useful prior to do a larger and more statistical rigorous set of trials.  This time of year is when populations of these colonial species are at their height and thus this email to encourage you participation.

      So this is where you come in.  We need you to put out a trap(s) around your house, nature center, fields, and woods for 3 weeks and then send us back your "catch."  We will put everything together and send you back a report.

      Here's what you will need:

      • Beer (The Europeans have standardized on Heineken but for this trial just use whatever is on hand)
      • Apple cider or juice
      • If you want try something else...go right ahead
      • CLEAR Plastic soda or water bottle (take the labels off)
      • String or wire
      Directions
      • Put a good 3 inches of beer or cider in the bottom of the bottle
      • Keep the top of the bottle off
      • Hang the bottle (from a tree or post) about 3-4 feet off the ground....hang the bottle by the neck.
      • Locations could be in any habitat with an emphasis on woodlands (which likely have the highest species richness).
      • At the end of 3 weeks strain out your sample and mail it in via the following procedure (note the alcohol and vinegar both will preserve the specimens over the 3 weeks).
      Mailing

      • Rinse specimens under cool water
      • Put into ziplock bag
      • Add a very SMALL amount of alcohol, just enough to DAMPEN them (isopropyl is fine).
      • Add a paper towel to keep any excess alcohol in place
      • Put that bag into ANOTHER zip lock bag with another paper towel
      • Put those bags into ANOTHER plastic bag and tie tightly.
      • Ship in a padded envelope or box to me along with the who, what, where below:

      Data needed for each trap:
      • Your name
      • Your location (gps, mailing address, description, map)
      • Date Put Out
      • Date Taken Down
      • Habitat
      • Notes
      • Email address so we can contact you

      That's it, your ticket to fame is guaranteed, many thanks for the help and participation.

      Sam

      Mail to:

      "...and though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all..."

      A day in the life.
      Sargent Peppers
      Beatles

      P Wasps are not optional.
    • Julio A. Genaro
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2009
        Dear All,

        I am deeply pleased to write to you and wish you had a nice comeback to your home countries.  This time I want you to have at sight the information regarding the 6th Mesoamerican Congress on Native Bees, which will take place in the city of Antigua Guatemala (former city and capital of Guatemala), October 27-30, 2009.  For mor information please  check the following link:
        http://www.lenap-usac.org/index_files/Page968.htm (let me know if any additional information in English is required).

        Estuardo Solórzano
        Técnico Profesional-Oficina Técnica de Biodiversidad/Consejo Nacional de Áreas Protegidas (OTECBIO/CONAP)
        Professional Technician- Technical Bureau for Biodiversity/National Council for Protected Areas
        Email:
        esolorzano@...
        Tel.: (502) 2422-6700, ext. 2000, 2003

        check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages