Re: RE: [beemonitoring] Question: Anyone know of stingproof but thin gloves?

  • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
      hi all,

      Been away in Maine.  Not too many bees, and most of them were in Acadia National Park.

      I've had a lot of experience with goatskin beekeeping gloves.  They are my choice, as I handle a lot of queens, especially when we were working with Africanized bees.  WE also used regular rubber gloves, like for dishwashing.  The surface is slippery enough that the bees can't get a grip to set the sting.  Not lab gloves, too thin.

      Anita Collins
      If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research. Albert Einstein

      Aug 10, 2009 11:26:41 AM, mwilso14@... wrote:

      In honey beekeeping, goat skin gloves give the best feel/dexterity, but
      are not 100% sting proof. Cowhide is usually sting proof, but very cumbersome.
      Tightish fitting and thin goat skin is best, but a tight fit always makes
      stings more likely. It would probably be enough though.
      -Michael Wilson