RE: [beemonitoring] Question: Anyone know of stingproof but thin gloves?

  • Wilson, Michael E
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
      RE: [beemonitoring] Question: Anyone know of stingproof but thin gloves?

      In honey beekeeping, goat skin gloves give the best feel/dexterity, but
      are not 100% sting proof. Cowhide is usually sting proof, but very cumbersome.
      Tightish fitting and thin goat skin is best, but a tight fit always makes
      stings more likely. It would probably be enough though.
      -Michael Wilson

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
        hi all,

        Been away in Maine.  Not too many bees, and most of them were in Acadia National Park.

        I've had a lot of experience with goatskin beekeeping gloves.  They are my choice, as I handle a lot of queens, especially when we were working with Africanized bees.  WE also used regular rubber gloves, like for dishwashing.  The surface is slippery enough that the bees can't get a grip to set the sting.  Not lab gloves, too thin.

        Anita Collins
        If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research. Albert Einstein