Question: Anyone know of stingproof but thin gloves?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009

      All:

      People who are just learning to net collect insects are often hesitant to plunge their hand into a net full bees and wasps.  With time, most develop ways the eliminate the possibility of stinging, and some realize that even in a net most bees and wasps are reluctant to sting unless you grab them with your bare hands.  In fact the small ones can simply be picked up and put into vials or kill jars and having them crawl on your hand isn't something to worry about.   That said, the beginner lacks such confidence and others will always remain worried about stinging and this can slow down the time it take for them to remove insects from nets and consequently their bees per hour is greatly lowered.  These days most of our lab's collecting consists of netting for several minutes and then removing the wasps and bees all at once by shaking the catch to the tip of the net, inserting a tube of soapy water into the net with one hand while constricting the net with another hand and then the tube can be moved throughout the net until all the insects are in the tube.  This is very fast (high bees per hour), but now here there are even more bees and wasps to be afraid of.

      I am wondering if a thin glove (leather driving gloves?) would prevent stinging without hindering dexterity too much and I would like to add such a recommendation to the Handy Bee Manual, but, alas, have no experience with such things myself.  I think it would need to be impervious to Polistes, Vespula, Bombus, and Apis stings.

      Does anyone have any recommendations?

      Thanks.

      There was a man who loved bees.
      He always was their friend.
      He used to sit upon their hive.
      But they stung him, in the end.
        -  Nick Wallingford

    • David Inouye
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2009
        Handball gloves have worked well for me.  Leather is thin enough so you can still handle bumble bees easily, but thick enough that I don't recall ever being stung.

        David

        At 10:31 AM 8/8/2009, you wrote:

[...]

        sam

        Sam Droege  sdroege@...
      • Wilson, Michael E
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
          RE: [beemonitoring] Question: Anyone know of stingproof but thin gloves?

          In honey beekeeping, goat skin gloves give the best feel/dexterity, but
          are not 100% sting proof. Cowhide is usually sting proof, but very cumbersome.
          Tightish fitting and thin goat skin is best, but a tight fit always makes
          stings more likely. It would probably be enough though.
          -Michael Wilson

[...]

        • Anita M Collins, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
            hi all,

            Been away in Maine.  Not too many bees, and most of them were in Acadia National Park.

            I've had a lot of experience with goatskin beekeeping gloves.  They are my choice, as I handle a lot of queens, especially when we were working with Africanized bees.  WE also used regular rubber gloves, like for dishwashing.  The surface is slippery enough that the bees can't get a grip to set the sting.  Not lab gloves, too thin.

            Anita Collins
            If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research. Albert Einstein