Announcing -- The BEECOUNTER

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 48 KB

    Our lab has shifted from pinning all specimens to the following process:

    1.  Bees are washed, cleaned, and dried
    2.  Easy to identify specimens are identified without pinning and put into petri dishes for archiving
    3.  The remaining specimens are glued to pins, labeled, and identified as usual.

    This saves time and drawer space...particularly when we are monitoring the same areas and the species groups are well known and common.

    We realized that it would be handy to have some sort of counter available when doing our visual counts.  We had a couple of the old fashioned lab click counters, but they were limited to 10 counters and often we would have way more than 10 (particularly because we were counting males and females separately).   Thus was born the BEECOUNTER.xls  an Excel based counter.   Mark Wimer a bird biologist in our office wrote the macro for it (even though he said it was off-topic...such a nice guy!).

    This file is available at:

    The file is also attached to this message (though for some of you it may be filtered out by your email provider).

    One note, for some groups (federal government, for example) you IT department will often "turn-off" macros.  You can turn them back on by going to the security area (can be in "options" but varies with Excel version...check help for locality....and then change to allowing all macros to run).

    The BEECOUNTER is relatively self-explanatory, you put whatever names (we usually use some sort of 4 letter code shortcut...with an "m" at the end to indicate a male category) in the name counter you wish and then everytime you see one of those species you simply type its number, symbol, or letter in the box at the top of the spreadsheet.  At the end you hit the "update tallies" button and it will put the counts next to the names.  You can then cut and paste the results to another program.

    Feel free to modify, redistribute, and change anyway you wish.  No need to let us know...unless you have made it better, in which case we would love a copy.

    In the leaf's veins and midrib,
    the mushroom's gill: no irony.

    In the stamen and pistil,
    the pip of the grape, making

    occurs without suffering,
    one is led to suppose.

    When the fawn sprawled in a thicket
    stiffens, a council of birds

    descends and pecks
    until its chest is crimson.

    The badger's project
    is isolation: he knows

    only to burrow and sleep,
    while the spider spins

    in a web wider, more intricate
    than his, though this crisis

    does not cross his mind.
    He proceeds without comment.

    Then what is one to do
    on a night like this, bright almost

    as day, when the lavender moon,
    burdened with light,

    is near enough to brush
    the trees and power lines, when this fern

    rooted at the road's edge
    casts the shadow of an infant's ribs?

    Chris Forhan

    P.S.  Just found and am digging the Balkan Radio Station:  http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/Balkan