Re: [beemonitoring] Bombus auricomus? Photographed Sat July 18, Purcellville, VA

  • Elizabeth A Sellers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3709023916/> is indeed a video... I got tired of trying to capture a 'still' of what I thought was Bombus pensylvanicus - but may turn out to be auricomus - it was so wary of my presence. So I took a short video instead.

      Cheers, Liz (Sellers)

      From:Liz Day <lizday44@...>
      To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Date:07/21/2009 03:24 PM
      Subject:Re: [beemonitoring] Bombus auricomus? Photographed Sat July  18, Purcellville, VA
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombussp/

      To me, it appears that:

      13, 14 on Monarda are male perplexus.

      9, 10, 14 on thistle are female X. virginica.

      1, 2, 11 are impatiens, I think - poor thing looks terrible.

      3, 4, 5, 6 are most likely female (queen?) perplexus.

      Those I saw labelled as brown-belted are correct.

      Those labelled as American bumblebee (pensylvanicus) on Monarda
      appear ...heck, they ARE, B. auricomus, the Black-and-Gold. Except
      the right-hand one here

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3708969224/sizes/l/
      is far away, so I'm not sure on it.
      This one

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3709023916/
      seems to be a video, which my worthless computer can't play.

      Anyone's thoughts?

      cheers,
      liz

      Liz Day