Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007

      Jerry (and anyone else interested):

      Yes, it would be interesting to see what the variance around this would be.    If you would send me about 40 dried bees (on pins would be fine).  We will do a scan.   We likely will try some additional samples too.  Its likely worth exploration.

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      The mosquito was heard to complain
      That the Chemist had poisoned his brain
      The cause of his sorrow
      Was paradichloro-
      Diphenyltrichloroethane
        -Unknown

      Jerry_Freilich@...
      Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      03/13/2007 06:21 PM

      Please respond to
      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

      Sam,
      These are fascinating results. We ought to get you to screen a sample of
      bees from here and there. I am also dying to know if other bees in your
      collection have those same approximate values. This sounds like a whole new
      idea!

      Jerry
      __________________________
      Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
      Research & Research Learning Network Coordinator
      Olympic National Park
      600 E. Park Ave.
      Port Angeles, WA 98362

      Phone: 360-565-3082
      Fax: 360-565-3070
      Cell: 360-477-3338

      Jerry_Freilich@...

      "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
      there are many such places..."
      Edward Abbey
      ___________________________

      Sam Droege
      <
      sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
      Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
      beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees
      ogroups.com

      03/13/2007 03:12
      PM AST
      Please respond to
      beemonitoring

      All:

      The lab next door to mine has a new portable x-ray gizmo that takes
      accurate readings of metals from samples. These are usually soil samples,
      but I gave him a batch of surplus dried bees to see what would happen.
      Here are the results.

      Everything is in p.p.m. A "<" symbol indicates that the metal was below
      detection level.

      Antimony <
      Tin <
      Cadmium <
      Silver <
      Strontium <
      Rubidium <
      Lead <
      Selenium <
      Arsenic <
      Mercury <
      Zinc 80.29 +/- 12.26
      Copper <
      Nickel <
      Cobalt <
      Iron 27.21 +/- 27.21
      Manganese <
      Chromium 66.55 +/- 26.39
      Vanadium <
      Titanium <
      Scandium 118.61 +/- 61.19
      Calcium 2327.3 +/- 313.53
      Potassium 19159.42 +/- 859.55

      Some ranges for humans

      Scandium
      Bone/p.p.m: 0.001
      Liver/p.p.m: 0.0004-0.0014
      Muscle/p.p.m: n/a
      Calcium
      Bone/p.p.m: 170000
      Liver/p.p.m: 100-360
      Muscle/p.p.m: 140-700
      Potassium
      Bone/p.p.m: 2100
      Liver/p.p.m: 16000
      Muscle/p.p.m: 16000
      Chromium
      Bone/p.p.m: 0.1-033
      Liver/p.p.m: 0.02-3.3
      Muscle/p.p.m: 0.024-0.84
      Iron
      Bone/p.p.m: 3-380
      Liver/p.p.m: 250-1400
      Muscle/p.p.m: 180
      Zinc
      Bone/p.p.m: 75-170
      Liver/p.p.m: 240
      Muscle/p.p.m: 240

      Not sure what to make of the results, but if anyone had bees nesting on
      contaminated site it would be an interesting comparison. I wonder what is
      going on with the high scandium levels. This is supposed to be very rare
      metal.

      sam

      Sam Droege
      Sam_Droege@...
      BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705

      Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

      The Ungrateful Garden

      Midas watched the golden crust
      That formed over his streaming sores,
      Hugged his agues, loved his lust,
      But damned to hell the out-of-doors

      Where blazing motes of sun impaled
      The serried roses, metal-bright.
      "Those famous flowers," Midas ailed,
      "Have scorched my retina with light."

      This gift, he'd though, would gild his joys,
      Silt up the waters of his grief;
      His lawns a wilderness of noise,
      The heavy clang of leaf on leaf.

      Within, the golden cup is good