Bombus auricomus? Photographed Sat July 18, Purcellville, VA

  • Elizabeth A Sellers
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2009

      Hi Folks,

      Apart from all of the other exciting things I saw this weekend, I'm wondering if I've managed to photograph (all-be-it somewhat blurry and not as sharp as I'd like) Bombus auricomus in Purcellville, VA on Saturday July 18. It appeared to have a narrow yellow stripe between the thorax and the petiole, and the small yellow patch on the back of the head where it connects to the thorax that seem to distinguish it from B. pensylvanicus. Obviously, I'm not an 'insect' person so please forgive my murdering or misuse of anatomical terms here...

      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombusauricomus/>

      And for the adventurous... some unknowns (but I have my suspicions) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombussp/>
      I would submit these to BugGuide for help with the identifications... but I felt that I would be abusing their generosity since I cannot offer reciprocal assistance with other folks insect photographs.

      Thank you in advance for any ID assistance you can provide - it will be most appreciated!

      Cheers, Liz

      Elizabeth Sellers

      National Biological Information Infrastructure <
      www.nbii.gov>
      National Program Office
      United States Geological Survey
      12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 302
      Reston, VA 20192  USA
      Ph 703.648.4385 | Fax 703.648.4224 | esellers@...
    • Liz Day
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/tags/bombussp/

        To me, it appears that:

        13, 14 on Monarda are male perplexus.

        9, 10, 14 on thistle are female X. virginica.

        1, 2, 11 are impatiens, I think - poor thing looks terrible.

        3, 4, 5, 6 are most likely female (queen?) perplexus.

        Those I saw labelled as brown-belted are correct.

        Those labelled as American bumblebee (pensylvanicus) on Monarda
        appear ...heck, they ARE, B. auricomus, the Black-and-Gold. Except
        the right-hand one here
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3708969224/sizes/l/
        is far away, so I'm not sure on it.
        This one
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3709023916/
        seems to be a video, which my worthless computer can't play.

        Anyone's thoughts?

        cheers,
        liz

        Liz Day
        Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
        (40 N, 86 W; USDA zone 5b)
        www.kiva.net/~daylight
      • Elizabeth A Sellers
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009

          <http://www.flickr.com/photos/esellers/3709023916/> is indeed a video... I got tired of trying to capture a 'still' of what I thought was Bombus pensylvanicus - but may turn out to be auricomus - it was so wary of my presence. So I took a short video instead.

          Cheers, Liz (Sellers)

          From:Liz Day <lizday44@...>
          To:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
          Date:07/21/2009 03:24 PM