Does anyone know this bee?

  • Chanda Henne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

    I am currently working on identifying bees collected as part of a biodiversity study at the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site in southeast Colorado.  I have gotten everything to genus and have been now working down to species.  Recently, I have come across a bee that I am not too sure about the genus level identification (see attached pictures).  Using The Bee Genera of North and Central America I have keyed it to Lasioglossum.  However, the head is like no Lasioglossum I have ever seen.  Ignoring the head shape, it appears to be L. (Dialictus).  Has anyone seen a bee like this before?  Could anyone tell me whether I am on the right track or way off base?  If you need more information, or a different picture angle, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Chanda Henne

    Chanda S. Henne, M.S.

    Texas AgriLife Research