Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2007
      Hey Sam,

      theres a guy named Jerry Bromenshenk, who has been working on grants from DOD for years, using honey bees to determine the extent of fallout from pollution sources and the like.  The hairs pick up lots of stuff.  And now he's got them learning to sniff for bombs and landmines.  Crazy stuff but it seems to work.  I'm not sure it he has published much of this, he's not the publication type of guy.  But I'll try to find you his web site or e-mail.  No reason it wouldn't be the same for native species.

      Cheers,
      Anita
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2007

        Jerry (and anyone else interested):

        Yes, it would be interesting to see what the variance around this would be.    If you would send me about 40 dried bees (on pins would be fine).  We will do a scan.   We likely will try some additional samples too.  Its likely worth exploration.

        sam

        Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

        The mosquito was heard to complain
        That the Chemist had poisoned his brain
        The cause of his sorrow
        Was paradichloro-
        Diphenyltrichloroethane
          -Unknown

        Jerry_Freilich@...
        Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        03/13/2007 06:21 PM

        Please respond to
        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        Re: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees

        Sam,
        These are fascinating results. We ought to get you to screen a sample of
        bees from here and there. I am also dying to know if other bees in your
        collection have those same approximate values. This sounds like a whole new
        idea!

        Jerry
        __________________________
        Jerry Freilich, Ph.D.
        Research & Research Learning Network Coordinator
        Olympic National Park
        600 E. Park Ave.
        Port Angeles, WA 98362

        Phone: 360-565-3082
        Fax: 360-565-3070
        Cell: 360-477-3338

        Jerry_Freilich@...

        "This is the most beautiful place on earth,
        there are many such places..."
        Edward Abbey
        ___________________________

        Sam Droege
        <
        sdroege@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
        Sent by: cc: (bcc: Jerry Freilich/OLYM/NPS)
        beemonitoring@yaho Subject: [beemonitoring] The Metal Content of Bees
        ogroups.com

        03/13/2007 03:12
        PM AST
        Please respond to
        beemonitoring

        All:

        The lab next door to mine has a new portable x-ray gizmo that takes
        accurate readings of metals from samples. These are usually soil samples,
        but I gave him a batch of surplus dried bees to see what would happen.
        Here are the results.

        Everything is in p.p.m. A "<" symbol indicates that the metal was below
        detection level.

        Antimony <
        Tin <
        Cadmium <
        Silver <
        Strontium <
        Rubidium <
        Lead <
        Selenium <
        Arsenic <
        Mercury <
        Zinc 80.29 +/- 12.26
        Copper <
        Nickel <
        Cobalt <
        Iron 27.21 +/- 27.21
        Manganese <
        Chromium 66.55 +/- 26.39
        Vanadium <
        Titanium <
        Scandium 118.61 +/- 61.19
        Calcium 2327.3 +/- 313.53
        Potassium 19159.42 +/- 859.55

        Some ranges for humans

        Scandium
        Bone/p.p.m: 0.001
        Liver/p.p.m: 0.0004-0.0014
        Muscle/p.p.m: n/a
        Calcium
        Bone/p.p.m: 170000
        Liver/p.p.m: 100-360
        Muscle/p.p.m: 140-700
        Potassium
        Bone/p.p.m: 2100
        Liver/p.p.m: 16000
        Muscle/p.p.m: 16000
        Chromium
        Bone/p.p.m: 0.1-033
        Liver/p.p.m: 0.02-3.3
        Muscle/p.p.m: 0.024-0.84
        Iron
        Bone/p.p.m: 3-380
        Liver/p.p.m: 250-1400
        Muscle/p.p.m: 180
        Zinc
        Bone/p.p.m: 75-170
        Liver/p.p.m: 240
        Muscle/p.p.m: 240

        Not sure what to make of the results, but if anyone had bees nesting on
        contaminated site it would be an interesting comparison. I wonder what is
        going on with the high scandium levels. This is supposed to be very rare
        metal.

        sam

        Sam Droege
        Sam_Droege@...
        BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705

        Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

        The Ungrateful Garden

        Midas watched the golden crust
        That formed over his streaming sores,
        Hugged his agues, loved his lust,
        But damned to hell the out-of-doors

        Where blazing motes of sun impaled
        The serried roses, metal-bright.
        "Those famous flowers," Midas ailed,
        "Have scorched my retina with light."

        This gift, he'd though, would gild his joys,
        Silt up the waters of his grief;
        His lawns a wilderness of noise,
        The heavy clang of leaf on leaf.

        Within, the golden cup is good