Heres a paper straw source!

  • pmiller451@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi, all, try this source for paper straws:

      cheers,

      Penny

      Penny Miller, Director
      Oglebay Zoo
      Wheeling, WV 26003
      304-243-4027

      In a message dated 6/4/2009 7:55:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, thr8z@... writes:

      Dave:

      I have had good luck with the paper craft straws known as Artstraws that are available on line from school supply kind of places, like www.unbeatables ale.com or www.dickblick. com. I've gotten diameters from 4mm to .25 inches. They are long so you cut them to your desired length. They are not as sturdy as the commercial ones for bees, but they have been good for me and are really cheap.

      T'ai

      On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:05 PM, David_r_smith@ fws.gov wrote:

      Hi All,

      As part of National Pollination Week, I will be giving a native bee-backyard habitat presentation at one of our local nurseries.  I would like to incorporate an activity as part of the presentation so that I am not just doing a lot of talking.  I thought having people construct nest tubes with numerous paper straws would be worth considering.  I didn't think wooden nest blocks would work as far as having enough tools and drills.

      Has anyone done something similar?  And one more question, is there a specific website or source for paper straws for nesting bees.  Do any paper straws work?  It is actually hard to find paper straws these days, most are plastic

      Thanks a lot,

      Dave Smith
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      323 N. Leroux St., Suite 101
      Flagstaff, AZ  86001
      (928) 226-0614 x 109
      "Field data is the best cure for a precarious prediction"  Dave Rosgen

      T'ai Roulston
      Associate Director Blandy Experimental Farm
      Research Assoc. Prof. Environmental Sciences
      University of Virginia
      400 Blandy Farm Lane
      Boyce, VA 22620
      540 837-1758 ext 276