Re: [beemonitoring] Flower Seed Mixes [2 Attachments]

  • Harold Ikerd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
    Deana-

    You or others might find this useful:
    Attached is a listing by State of bee attractive plants with number of bees specimens and number of bee species caught off of each floral taxon. Please note that this data is western-centric. Our Eastern US collections of bees are very limited and generally limited to specific areas. I've also attached a Google earth file [USDA-ARS Bee Biology and Systematics Laboratory.kml] of collection intensity so as not to misrepresent why some states have "only a few bee attractive plants".

    Data was pulled from:

    U. S. National Pollinating Insects Database, United States Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Bee Biology and Systematics Laboratory, Logan, Utah (Accessed 2009-05-VI)

    All the best,

    .

    --
    HW Ikerd
    Hikerd@...

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
      Hey Diana,

      I'm glad to hear that crocus is a good plant for honey bees, but Feb/March/April they are also ready to jump on a number of trees for pollen sources.  maybe not so noticable as they are often tall trees.  Red maple is a good example.  Lots of pollen for early rearing of brood, but not so much in the way of nectar.  Have to check hives in early spring on warm days to be sure that the bees have enough honey left to make it to spring, as once the pollen starts coming in, the queen cranks up to lay eggs.

      Anita Collins