RE: [beemonitoring] Flower Seed Mixes

  • Crumbling.Deana@epamail.epa.gov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
    Although not native, I have found crocuses to be important to honeybees.
    Crocuses will bloom in late winter, well before spring really hits. If
    there is a brief warm-up, honeybees can come out (as was the case this
    year). Nothing else is really available to them. (Since both the bee and
    the plant are from Europe, it is not surprising there is some
    synchronization.) My crocus patch this year was covered with honeybees
    frantically going after the pollen.

    If you can put in bushes or small trees, Amorpha fruticosa(false indigo
    bush) is wildly popular with bumblebees and is deer resistant.

    A good website is http://www.bumblebee.org/FlowerlistUS.htm

    Something to remember is that there are more than just bees out there
    that are having a hard time. There are also butterflies, moths, etc.
    etc., that could use a helping hand with food plants for their
    catepillars. There are some species that utilize only 1 plant, so adding
    more of their plants "out there" can only help.

    Deana Crumbling, M.S.
    Environmental Scientist | Technology Innovation Program
    ü Please consider the environment before printing this email
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
    MC 5203P | 1200 Pennsylvania Ave, NW | Washington, DC 20460
    Courier Delivery/Visitors:
    2777 South Crystal Drive | 4th Floor, S-4837 | Arlington, VA 22202
    Phone: 703-603-0643  | Fax: 703-603-9135
    Email: crumbling.deana@...
    Clean-Up Information Webpage: http://cluin.org
    Triad Resource Center: http://www.triadcentral.org

    From: "Wilson, Michael E" <mwilso14@...>

    To: <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>

    Date: 06/05/2009 08:45 AM

    Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] Flower Seed Mixes

    I'm currently doing bee visitation trials of some mixes from americanmeadows.com
    They have a native to North America mix too. The 'native' mix is the most
    expensive, least diverse (as far as what came up), but seems to have the best bee
    food plants in it. It does not have the Cosmos that other mixes of theirs has. I
    would add some cosmos to it if I was establishing my own pollinator plot, adding
    this for late season resources for native bees. I'm very pleased with the ease of
    establishment and visual effect of the three mixes of theirs that I've used. The
    plots are in their second year. This spring required some weeding out of morning
    glory that would have likely overtook the plots.

    As far as providing mass resources for bee food, the mixes are not holding up in
    comparison to buckwheat, yellow clover, and vetch. Bumblebees like the vetch. I
    would predict any clover would provide more food then the flower mixes. I suspect
    brassica's would be really good bee food too. I don't think flowering field/cover
    crops can be matched for bee food, but sustained flowering through the season must
    be considered.

    The 'native' mix is still good however. Monarda citriodora seems to be very
    attractive to bumble bees. Partidge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculatais) is good for
    wild birds and bees too. Coreopsis lanceolata and Salvia coccinea are some other
    highlights from the 'native' mix. A mix of just those would be a pretty nice
    native to North America mix, and probably cheaper to mix your own.

    Good luck,
    Michael Wilson
    University of Tennessee

    Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
    Deana-

    You or others might find this useful:
    Attached is a listing by State of bee attractive plants with number of bees specimens and number of bee species caught off of each floral taxon. Please note that this data is western-centric. Our Eastern US collections of bees are very limited and generally limited to specific areas. I've also attached a Google earth file [USDA-ARS Bee Biology and Systematics Laboratory.kml] of collection intensity so as not to misrepresent why some states have "only a few bee attractive plants".

    Data was pulled from:

    U. S. National Pollinating Insects Database, United States Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Bee Biology and Systematics Laboratory, Logan, Utah (Accessed 2009-05-VI)

    All the best,

    .

    --
    HW Ikerd
    Hikerd@...

  • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
    Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
      Hey Diana,

      I'm glad to hear that crocus is a good plant for honey bees, but Feb/March/April they are also ready to jump on a number of trees for pollen sources.  maybe not so noticable as they are often tall trees.  Red maple is a good example.  Lots of pollen for early rearing of brood, but not so much in the way of nectar.  Have to check hives in early spring on warm days to be sure that the bees have enough honey left to make it to spring, as once the pollen starts coming in, the queen cranks up to lay eggs.

      Anita Collins